Whiskey barrel coffee

Nakoda13

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Wondering if anyone tried this coffee before, and do they put the beans in the barrels roasted or green?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coffee771

Dec 29, 2016
Texas
Visit site
I have not tried it, although after reading about it I want to. From what I understand, I think that they but the green coffee beans into the whiskey barrels. The beans are left to age and soak up the whiskey flavor that is left behind on the barrel wood.

Last edited:

Nakoda13

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Great, the next question is the hole on my barrel is like a 2" hole, curious if they cut it out bigger to get beans out or they just fall out after, I will start a pic blog of it and see what happens.

The barrel I have is a 23l barrel used for port, then rye whiskey was added. It smells fabulous.

So here goes will post pics soon!!

Nakoda13

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
9f96fb2c59b14dd2c15009fe1f8c2a39.jpg
61f8518adb1bd6b04063a5d5c9bb0a29.jpg

Nakoda13

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Here's 2 barrels used from rye whiskey and port! I put 10 lbs of Guatemalan huehuetanango and 10 lbs Costa Rica Tarrazzu in the other, the barrels smell great let's see what happens in a month!

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
Since i'm a commercial winemaker i know Okanagan Barrel Works, i have some oak fermenter actually from them. I am also a small coffee roaster so i have some neutral alcohol aging since a year in a small 20L oak barrel and will very soon rack it to an other barrel for the same purpose and will put some green coffee in it just like you. I will try first for just 2 weeks and the next batch probably 1 month. My guess is that the first batch will absorb a lot of flavors so take care not to overexposed the beans. I may try first with a Brazilian or Guatamalan but later i want to try a Monsooned Malabar that is quite powerful already to see the effect. I'd like to bring to market a coffee that is exposed to oak "seasonning". I have access to a lot of barrels if needed ;)

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
Oh, BTW you can drill a bigger hole if needed. Just be sure you have a larger diameter silicon bung to seal it back again. In larger volume like a 220L barrel i would probably just put the barrel upside and open one head to fill and empty it.

Nakoda13

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Okanagan are out of business lady I heard, no one was buying his barrels he was only fixing everyone elses.
Love it, people love my Monsoon malabar as well, I just wanted to try these two first, my barrels are very aromatic but they have been empty for a month prior, I didn't want them wet for the beans, I would like to chat more about this with you as well. Maybe pm you or something

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
Okanagan are out of business lady I heard, no one was buying his barrels he was only fixing everyone elses.
Love it, people love my Monsoon malabar as well, I just wanted to try these two first, my barrels are very aromatic but they have been empty for a month prior, I didn't want them wet for the beans, I would like to chat more about this with you as well. Maybe pm you or something
Sad news about Okanagan :( We bough our one tons oak fermenter from them two years ago, they where nice to deal with. My barrel is drying since yesterday. The alcohol was smelling fantastic but taste awful with way too much tannin!! :)

Just send me an email instead of a PM, easier for me: [email protected]

Séb

Nakoda13

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Sad news about Okanagan :( We bough our one tons oak fermenter from them two years ago, they where nice to deal with. My barrel is drying since yesterday. The alcohol was smelling fantastic but taste awful with way too much tannin!! :)

Just send me an email instead of a PM, easier for me: [email protected]

Séb

That's funny mine too, doesn't take long in those small barrels!!

Will do

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Musicphan...What does this do to the drum...wouldn't it leave a residual of whiskey flavor on future batches? How much alcohol is actually absorbed into the coffee? If there is a fair amount of alcohol it would ignite when dropping coffee over 400 degrees..I have sold my fair amount of "flavored" coffee over the years...I always add the flavor after I roast. Just curious how this worked.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Topher - I have actually never done it... I did extensive research on the process and decided my biz volume couldn't justify the barrel expense. From my understanding is that there is no residual flavoring in the barrel. Its simply a tiny bit of flavoring the green picked up pre-roast. From what i tasted, its a very nuanced flavor addition. The one I enjoyed the most was from a wine barrel vs. spirit barrel. There are a bunch of people out there doing some type of barrel aging of green. Check out Dark Matters in Chicago... they are doing some interesting barrel aging.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Thanks Musicphan...I will definitely will check it out. I have something coming soon that is pretty crazy...actually a lot of new crazy stuff in the near future...I will post on it when we release it.