Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by N3Roaster View Post
    A good paper system works to a point, but a good computer system can produce measurable improvements in batch to batch production consistency even when the roaster is still being operated manually. Having production records in a database also makes it easier to extract relevant information to use to make better business decisions in several areas. When I got to the point where paper and spreadsheets were no longer a great fit I looked around at what was available and discovered that I didn't really like any of it, so I wrote Typica and released that as free open source software in 2007. While the feature set for use at a production roaster is mature and used at many roasting companies throughout the world, it's still under ongoing development with new features being added and old features being improved. The records are saved to a PostgreSQL database (most just run the installer and have that on the same computer that's running Typica but larger companies can have that running on a separate machine on the network so that any number of computers running Typica in your company can connect to that) and it works with several different pieces of data acquisition hardware to collect measurement data from the roaster. It's also highly customizable and works on Mac/Windows/Linux. There are a lot more options now so even if Typica doesn't fit what you need, I'd find it hard to recommend reinventing the wheel.

https://typica.us
    I use Typica for every roast! I absolutely love it, many thanks to you for creating such a great piece of software AND keeping it open source. I use it on a Mac and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Also use pen and paper though and fill out my own custom roast sheets for each roast. Helps keep the profiles consistent as the weather changes slowly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links