Roasters with CSA (Canada) certification?

erocifeller

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
Hi there! I have searched the forum and cannot find info on this so hopefully this isn't a repost!

I am trying to find CSA certified coffee roasters. The only roasters I have found with CSA certification are the San Francisican Roaster, Toper, and possibly USRC.

Do all Canadian roasters just pay for the CSA inspection upon installation??

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
USRC, Diedrich, Probat. I believe they are UL or ULC. I was told that CSA is really not applicable. If you don't see an applicable certification then you need an ESA inspection/approval

Last edited:

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For Canada you will most likely need (in order of preference) CSA, ULC or ETLc but check with your local installed/inspector before buying and get it "pre-approved" before you buy it. UL or ETL will not be accepted and you have to be careful that the certification is for the whole unit (i.e electric and gas) as some are only UL approved on the control panel and that won't pass. As far as I know USRC is only certified UL on the panel.

If you're buying a used unit you might be able to get it approved by a third party or your department of labour in your province/territory but it's best to talk it over with your gas installer and they'll lead you down the right path.

Last edited:

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
I was told ULC though if you get the schematics with UL, it is good as ESA will render an opinion before you pay for the inspection. I am told that if it has ESA, any province will accept it as most just use ESA anyhow. I was told that CSA was not relevant

tfehst

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
I was told ULC though if you get the schematics with UL, it is good as ESA will render an opinion before you pay for the inspection. I am told that if it has ESA, any province will accept it as most just use ESA anyhow. I was told that CSA was not relevant

a little late to the convo but curious who told you this?

Our inspector here in BC says without CSA it won't pass inspection and therefor no business license.

Does anyone have experience with CSA? What are the costs to get an imported machine certified? Cheers

Aezon

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
a little late to the convo but curious who told you this?

Our inspector here in BC says without CSA it won't pass inspection and therefor no business license.

Does anyone have experience with CSA? What are the costs to get an imported machine pmp certified? Cheers

All of the Canadian provinces have adopted the CSA electrical standards, which means that certification is mandatory for all electrical products to be installed in Canada. It is a voluntary process, unless legislated by the government or mandated by an industry or trade association. The initial test costs $5k to $10k, quarterly plant (field) inspections at $1k to $3k. Independent test labs can save you some money there. I have gone through this a few times in my professional sphere, although not for roasters. If you're planning on getting CSA certification for yourself, forget it, it's too expensive.

Last edited: