Toll Roasting / Price

Hey Pro Roasters...

I've been approached by someone to toll roast a small amount 10-20 lbs. What do you normally charge for that? (you can PM offline if needed). Any concerns/gotcha's?

Mike

IF you are going to have to warm up the machine for them I would want $50. If you are going to do it when you are doing some normal roasting I would probably take $1.50-$2.00 for a small amount like that.

75/lb perhaps? I recently quoted some toll roasting numbers and it really varies. Is this guy a potential repeat customer? One time deal? I've heard of it being done on large scale operations for as little as 25/lb. Is he reselling the beans or is he just playing around? Lots to potentially consider.

I found out a bit more about this... it a few local homebrewers that I meet at an event. They have access to barrels and are experimenting with barrel aging coffees for fun. We figured out a game plan... I'm selling them one of my green coffees and throwing in some green for my benefit and adding a few bucks for the roast.

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    I found out a bit more about this... it a few local homebrewers that I meet at an event. They have access to barrels and are experimenting with barrel aging coffees for fun. We figured out a game plan... I'm selling them one of my green coffees and throwing in some green for my benefit and adding a few bucks for the roast.
    This actually sounds like a cool collaboration. Might be something fun to be a part of, even if it doesn't work out. Keep me posted on how it goes, if you don't mind.

All right, I am now in the situation..............what would you charge?

Est. 5,000 lbs over a year to begin

I was thinking I should charge at least $1 if not $1.50 as the person wants me to store his packaging and package too.

Toll roasting vs Private Label
    So you are wanting to ensure you are recouping wear on your machine.
    Its like have a rental, charge a deposit, fee for property usage for space and amenities. Charge by the HR or by the lb, figure out which is easier to calculate.

If private label roasting, per lb is easiest.
    If someone else is renting your space, equipment etc charge deposit and hourly. (They may be and not efficient)
    Just my thoughts,

I ended up charging around $1.50 per lb GREEN packaging in 5lb bulk bags. Anything else was additional.

Super Moderator
    LOL green. I had a guy I toll roasted for years ago ask if I could do it for $.50 a lb. I said my rate was $1 a lb. All I would do is roast and throw in a super sack. They guy asked if I could come down...I said sure $.90 green. He was stoked. Funny thing was he would save over $.05 a lb if he would have stuck with the dollar roasted. Best part was when he asked my why it would take so long to roast all his coffee. I said it takes 18 minutes per batch. He said it took him about 5 on his roaster. He had a 3 bagger and would heat it up real hot( his words) and then drop in one bag. He said it cut the time down considerable...should have charged himn more.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links