Toll Roasting / Price

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Hey Pro Roasters...

I've been approached by someone to toll roast a small amount 10-20 lbs. What do you normally charge for that? (you can PM offline if needed). Any concerns/gotcha's?

Mike

empeg9000

Jul 15, 2014
East Greenbush, NY
Visit site
IF you are going to have to warm up the machine for them I would want $50. If you are going to do it when you are doing some normal roasting I would probably take $1.50-$2.00 for a small amount like that.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
75¢/lb perhaps? I recently quoted some toll roasting numbers and it really varies. Is this guy a potential repeat customer? One time deal? I've heard of it being done on large scale operations for as little as 25¢/lb. Is he reselling the beans or is he just playing around? Lots to potentially consider.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I found out a bit more about this... it a few local homebrewers that I meet at an event. They have access to barrels and are experimenting with barrel aging coffees for fun. We figured out a game plan... I'm selling them one of my green coffees and throwing in some green for my benefit and adding a few bucks for the roast.

LoftCoffee

Dec 7, 2016
Canada
Visit site
I found out a bit more about this... it a few local homebrewers that I meet at an event. They have access to barrels and are experimenting with barrel aging coffees for fun. We figured out a game plan... I'm selling them one of my green coffees and throwing in some green for my benefit and adding a few bucks for the roast.

This actually sounds like a cool collaboration. Might be something fun to be a part of, even if it doesn't work out. Keep me posted on how it goes, if you don't mind.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
All right, I am now in the situation..............what would you charge?

Est. 5,000 lbs over a year to begin

I was thinking I should charge at least $1 if not $1.50 as the person wants me to store his packaging and package too.

derek.peris

Aug 15, 2018
Blaine, WA
Visit site
Toll roasting vs Private Label
So you are wanting to ensure you are recouping wear on your machine.
Its like have a rental, charge a deposit, fee for property usage for space and amenities. Charge by the HR or by the lb, figure out which is easier to calculate.

If private label roasting, per lb is easiest.
If someone else is renting your space, equipment etc charge deposit and hourly. (They may be [emoji222] and not efficient)
Just my thoughts,

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
LOL green. I had a guy I toll roasted for years ago ask if I could do it for $.50 a lb. I said my rate was $1 a lb. All I would do is roast and throw in a super sack. They guy asked if I could come down...I said sure $.90 green. He was stoked. Funny thing was he would save over $.05 a lb if he would have stuck with the dollar roasted. Best part was when he asked my why it would take so long to roast all his coffee. I said it takes 18 minutes per batch. He said it took him about 5 on his roaster. He had a 3 bagger and would heat it up real hot( his words) and then drop in one bag. He said it cut the time down considerable...should have charged himn more.