Reducing cooling tray smoke and odour

Bradleysteenkamp

Dec 19, 2012
Horsham, UK
Visit site
Hello,

We recently fitted at afterburner to our 25kg Joper roaster and that's working out very well. Unfortunately our local council has told us that we must still treat the cooling tray smoke as a local resident is not happy with the smell. I've told them total odour reduction is not possible but they insist me must still do something about the cooling tray smoke.

We've tried to route it through the afterburner but this causes airflow and backpressure problems through the drum. The cooling fan on the Joper machines is very powerful!

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or has been told they must treat the odour of their cooling tray? It's very frustrating as we are in a rural location and the closest house is about 150 meters away. Unfortunately the person living there has taken a big dislike to the toasty smell. Other locals actually come in for coffee and to pick up beans regularly and found out about us because they like the aroma!

Any advice greatly appreciate.

Thanks
Bradley

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
how did your route the cooling bin to the after burner? I did this in the past.and had not issue. It was a pain in the ass though. You have to run the fan all the time while the after burner is on or the temp will keep climbing. I actually had a 10 kilo, its cooling tray, a 60 kilo and its try running through one after burner. If I wanted to roast on the 60 I still had to have the 10 kilo's fans running. I was able to find some pics from back then. This was years ago so the quality of camera is not so good..hope it helps. Good luck!
ab3.jpgab4.jpgab7.jpgafterburner2.jpg
ab5.jpg