Taking SafeServ Manager's course and implications on roasting?

bigMoose

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am taking the SafeServ Manager's course (directed at food service operations) at the local community college and trying to learn the lingo, risks, and control procedures for food service operators so that I will be more versed when interacting with state/local health authorities on roasting issues.

From my course it looks like we should use single use gloves when packaging roast beans and ground coffee. Also think all containers need to be sanitized daily in quat sanitizer and the stainless food contact surfaces on the vibratory weighing system. We are wondering if we need to sanitize the cooling area on the drum roaster daily.

Any input or recommended procedures from some commercial operators? Am I way off on an overkill tangent?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello BigMoose

Congratulations on having the initiative to take the SafeServe class! I wish more people would care enough to take that course. (or at leave read the textbook that goes with it)

I'm sure you've discovered that after taking the course, you'll forever be aware of the absolute need for implementing comprehensive sanitation procedures in any type of food service operation. You'll also discover that you'll be more inclined to implement safe practices in your personal life. The awareness and knowledge that you gain from taking that course is something that will always stay with you.

I've glad to hear that you're starting to think about how you can apply these procedures in your coffee roasting business. We can only hope that everyone who roasts coffee is as responsible as you are.

Hopefully, some of our members, who roast coffee, will be able to give you some input regarding sanitizing the roaster's cooling area.

Rose

bigMoose

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Rose! Needless to say, the course was/is a real eye opener. Our Chef instructor has over 20 years experience and was in the middle of an incident that resulted in 400 folks getting norovirus. Our procedures at home have already taken a huge change for the better... though it created a lot of strife with my wife over defrosting meat... now we are meal planning a day in advance and defrosting in the refrigerator. Also trying to figure out the dish washing procedure. The sponge disappeared 5 years ago, but now the cross contamination concerns of the "dish rag that lays over the sink divider" is giving me concern (Edit:to clarify, dish rag is in home sink).

I can only support your recommendation that we all take such a course if we are in the food chain to consumers. The outcomes of us messing up are not pretty to the public. Now to temper school knowledge with experience...

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Also trying to figure out the dish washing procedure. The sponge disappeared 5 years ago, but now the cross contamination concerns of the "dish rag that lays over the sink divider" is giving me concern.

I've never used sponges, so that wasn't an issue for me. After attending the class covering the cross contamination chapters, I went out and bought several packages of new dish cloths, so I'd have plenty on hand. I change them often, and they all get washed in the washing machine in hot water and bleach. My cutting boards are glass, and they go in the dishwasher. I also use Lysol kitchen wipes for the counter tops, etc. So far, so good!

Rose

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
One thing to be aware of ... roasters typically fall under FDA vs. local health code... at least in my state the fact I wasn't not serving beverages to the public had me fall under FDA. My facility is a licensed FDA food processing facility. You must hair/beard restraints... I don't believe that gloves are required (simply washing your hands before handling). I personally wear gloves simply because the oil on the coffee beans dry my hands out - and I figure i can't be too clean. I use Urnex brand all purpose cleaner / Santiizer for cleaning out my green coffee hopper, and cooling tray. All of my stainless steel tables and buckets I use for green/roasted coffee get similar treatment each use.

Your rags need to be sitting in sanitizer ... the over the faucet will be a no-no with health inspectors. I recently purchased a 3 compartment sink (still pending install).. for FDA only a hand sink is required.

bigMoose

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Musicphan, wow did not know when we grew we would be under FDA... I have talked to local (County) health and they never mentioned us being under FDA, and acted like they were the one that would have jurisdiction. We talked only roasting, and not serving/selling brewed coffee. So much to learn! I will start studying Food Processing Facility requirements this afternoon. (Edit: Looks like FDA facility requirements for food processors are in 21 CFR 117 Subpart B)

We are building up slowly to work under our states "Cottage Food Law" to start with. Our state lets us sell to/thru restaurants, grocery stores, and direct sales within our state. Also farm and farmer's markets (wish I could figure out the difference between those two! Edit: found it in 21 CFR 1.227 ... Farm market is at a specific farm; Farmer's market is like a food flea market of farmers)

Trying to pay attention to the experience of others on this board, who if they did well, grew very quickly... that gives us two ol' guys who are working on this a little pause... My buddy has the golden palate and the gift of sales; I tend to focus on automating the equipment, designing and building the hardware and facility, keeping the books, and other mundane admin stuff.

Both of us are committed to getting the food safety part of what we are considering down pat, so thanks for the suggestions, observations and insight. Hope the community here will keep them coming!

Edit: one Chef that I talked to that cooks at home told me he uses a lot of dish rags and towels when cooking for friends at home. Uses them one time, then throws them in a pile on the floor so he isn't tempted to use them again. As I understand it, in a commercial setting everything must air dry after the sanitizing step.

Last edited:

bigMoose

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Another week and more stuff learned... anyone have an example HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) for coffee roasting?

bigMoose

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Are you taking the course to gather information for your roasting business, or will you be taking the test for the SafeServ Certification too?
I am taking the course and the exam. Will get the SafeServ Manager Level II for my state if I pass the exam. We wanted to gather information also for the roasting business.

Am writing SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) for things now. About 12 written and perhaps 15 more to go. Realized I needed these in place to do the HACCP. I think the HACCP will be reasonably straight forward... :images: but that is easy to say when you haven't done this before. Edit: further reading and it looks like a Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls (HARPC) is what is relevant to the coffee roasting facility.

Thanks for the FSMA reference Musicphan. Have been aware of it in general, and it is the elephant in the room that is driving my interest in this. I am in that phase of life where I don't have to "critical path" my efforts to stay above the water line... so we are taking this detour to begin to try to understand how this new era of food safety is developing. Likely my efforts will benefit my kids more than myself...

Edit: So to recap this journey to date... as best I understand it so far: (note don't take this as fact)
0) Coffee roasters must register with FDA and renew every 2 years
1) Coffee roasters fall under FSMA
2) Exemptions are for small and very small businesses but only relevant to Farms and Farm mixed type facilities (which I believe we do not fall under) ... am I missing an exemption? I have read conflicting information here. One secondary publication said that small business (under 500 employees) and very small business (under $1M a year for last 3 years) is an exemption on it's own right. Another said that this small and very small exemption only applies to farm and farm mixed type. Clarification here would be great!
3) Therefore "I think" we have to develop HARPCs if small/very small exemption is only applied to farm/farm mixed type.

If anyone has figured this maze out... please chime in and set things straight!

Last edited:

bigMoose

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Well I emailed the FDA about a week ago about the questions above, and received no answer. So I called them 2 days ago and tried to ask some specific questions... Not sure I made the progress I had hoped for. She did "say" that the small business and very small business exemption applied to all food processors and not just "farms" and 'mixed facility farms." If true that would be very good for us. I asked her to put that in her email to me, but she chose to not get specific. I also told her that I would share her response here so that we cold all learn a bit. So without further ado, here is the response I received from the FDA: (FSMA)=Food Safety Management Act
FDA Response: (4/11/2017)

Hello, per our discussion earlier, here are some links to information about FSMA, and specifically compliance for small businesses. I hope this information is helpful! FDA intends to publish additional FSMA guidance in the future.

Thank you for contacting FDA’s FCIC/TAN.

This communication is intended for the exclusive use of the inquirer and does not constitute an advisory opinion (21 CFR 10.85(k)). Also note that this response is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all applicable requirements. Please check FDA’s web page (www.fda.gov) regularly for guidance reflecting our current thinking. Additional information on FSMA can be found on FDA’s FSMA web page (www.fda.gov/fsma).
I love the fact that you call the agency that composed the rules, and ask for the rules, and their "advisory" opinion carries a disclaimer that "This communication ... does not constitute an advisory opinion" Gotta love the government...

I'll start reading her references and see if I can make some sense out of it.

Last edited: