Diedrich issue

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Hey guys..I have a friend who is having issues with his Diedrich IR12. I have not been on a Diedrich in over 20 years. Anyone have suggestions for my buddy? He has tried contacting them and not response. Below is his email to me.

I have an IR 12 and the machine has been working great for 7 years and still works. However, after I did a thorough cleaning of the exhaust pipes after our long winter, when I went to fire it up the igniter would not start the pilot unless I adjusted air-flow thru the drum. Once this was done, we reset it back to 50/50 and everything was fine and we roasted away. Now today, when I dropped a roast(after turning gas to OFF setting)and in doing so ran air-flow thru cooling bin the pilot light went out and would not restart unless I put the air-flow again thru drum

I have checked and cleaned all possible air-flow areas and still am having same issue. I was hoping you might have a suggestion?

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Sounds like a sensor of sorts became altered during the cleaning. Not familiar with those roasters but my roaster does not ignite unless I have the exhaust fan on. Safety factory. Just a thought

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Sigh. First thing I suggested was checking his impeller fan. He assured me he had just cleaned it. So I went through all the other things it could be. He just called and said his impeller fan was caked up. He cleaned it and is good to go. I told him not to over think these issues that it isn't that complex...thanks Chast for your input!

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like a faulty airflow sensor...has stopped opening the gas flow to the pilot when airflow is idle. If you can identify that component, that would be my best guess as the culprit.

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
It sounds like a faulty airflow sensor...has stopped opening the gas flow to the pilot when airflow is idle. If you can identify that component, that would be my best guess as the culprit.

I was visiting a friend with a smaller Diedrich and noticed it had what looked like a vacuum sensor in the back of the machine, hosed into the exhaust.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Yea, definitely a sensor issue/airflow mechanism issue. If I ever leave the compartment to my chaff box opened even slightly, the pilot will not light because the sensor isn't getting the proper vacuum readings. If he can only get it lit when its 100% on drum, then it may even be an issue with the lever mechanism that changes the airflow. Perhaps it's not shifting 100% of the airflow through the cooling bin, and that is throwing off a sensor somewhere.