Need help - Problem Roasting Yirg

edward1982

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

I am the beginner, starting roasted some coffee beans, currently I am facing the problem while roasting the Ethiopia Yirgacheffe. My roast is the mid of light-medium. When I brew it with V6 dripper, it taste bitter and this taste is quite harsh for me actually.

After that I tried another 2 batches (from different suppliers), one with lighter roast, another with medium roast, but I am still facing the same problem.

From my understanding Yirg should be acidity, that's why I feel something wrong with my roast.

Anyone can help and explain why I am having this problem? Or any possibilities causing this problem?

Previously I am also roasted Columbia & Papua New Guinea beans, I didn't have this problem at all.

Thanks and appreciate for your help and assist in advanced.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Is your Yirg washed or natural? What are you roasting on? Home roasting machine, pro-like, or professional machine? The greater your ability you have to control the roast the more likely we can offer helpful suggestions.

Good Yirga Cheffe have a lot of complexity. It takes a bit of finessing to get it right.

edward1982

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Is your Yirg washed or natural? What are you roasting on? Home roasting machine, pro-like, or professional machine? The greater your ability you have to control the roast the more likely we can offer helpful suggestions.

Is Natural. I am using electric oven with Rotisserie roaster drum. Temperature is 210°C for around 30mins....

Good Yirga Cheffe have a lot of complexity. It takes a bit of finessing to get it right.

This is something I lack of, and still learning :)....

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Edward,

You are going to have a difficult time with your roasting. With "steady" temperature and length of time, you are more baking than roasting. Complex coffees really need the ability to manage your temperature curve.
If you can turn the heat off and on (cycle), maybe you can manage internal temperatures better. "Get a better roaster." or "MAKE a better roaster." (by heat cycling/temp control) might not sound like help, but without a way of managing and controlling your heat, good results will be hard to come by. You don't have to spend a lot, you just need to tweak it a bit.

edward1982

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Edward,

You are going to have a difficult time with your roasting. With "steady" temperature and length of time, you are more baking than roasting. Complex coffees really need the ability to manage your temperature curve.
If you can turn the heat off and on (cycle), maybe you can manage internal temperatures better. "Get a better roaster." or "MAKE a better roaster." (by heat cycling/temp control) might not sound like help, but without a way of managing and controlling your heat, good results will be hard to come by. You don't have to spend a lot, you just need to tweak it a bit.

Ah..yes, you are right. I should have better control on the heat...thanks so much John. Better roaster will be my future target

edward1982

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
This is essentially a better modified version of what you are doing.
Good for a home roaster

Thanks John :coffee:

I have a new discovery today - I brewed the Ethiopian beans the first batch I roasted (since 12th days ago) with lower temperatures water (around 70°C), the bitterness has been faded and it taste quite nice for me now.

Last edited:

Latest posts