How do I understand roasting

Meshaal

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone,

What are the best sources of understanding roasting or how to roast, including books, online resources or other means excluding roasting courses.

Where shall I start from to know the basics of roasting, in order to start roasting.

Many thanks in advance.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Sweet Maria's has a nice library of info... they also carry two books i recommend:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/category/miscellaneous/books

Start with Ken Davis's Homeroasting book... it may be a bit dated but a good starting point. Once you have the basics of info/roasting down your other books are Scott Roa's Coffee Roasting Companing and Rob Hoos's Modulating the Flavor Profile of Coffee. The two later won't make much sense without a solid foundation of roasting. And the Mill City series is very nice... well worth the watch.

Meshaal

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
Why don't you look through the SCAA website as to their resources............maybe take a class

I'm considering this. However, I think it's better to have a bit of good understanding of roasting, then, join a roasting course that is certified by the SCA

mayacacoffee

Sep 15, 2017
da nang
Visit site
Rounds of coffee look simple but then there are many skills. If necessary, take a class to understand it. Do not forget that roasted coffee beans have a better taste than roasting coffee.

Chelly

Oct 7, 2017
Visit site
Thanks a lot guys for the info,

I will try to read as many books as I can, as far as I hopefully enjoy :coffee:

It depends on your purpose of roasting for personal use you can google or watch videos on youtube, but for business purposes much better to take short-term courses or class. Just my opinion..:)