Guatemala Antigua Finca La Joya (profile request :-)

forestcall

Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Visit site
Hi all -

I was hoping someone might have experience with this bean. Dream scenario would be a detailed (as possible) roast profile for "Guatemala Antigua Finca La Joya". Also summarized as "Pache".

Im using the TJ-072-G

I tried 1000 grams- Charge was 385 F and BT at drop was 425F. But during cupping and using a drip method the coffee was so biter I was repulsed.

I have another 68 Kilos to try and get this correct :)

Last edited:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Your charge temp seems pretty low... I generally start at 380-400 F for my charge temp on a unknown bean. Is that normal for your roaster? What are your times to hit dry/FC/etc?

forestcall

Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Visit site
Wow you rock!!!!

Thanks so much!!!

It is amazing that you have this information.

I purchased my beans from Cafe Imports but they do not have a roast profile. I tried this bean from another roaster and it was so tasty. I actually found another two 69 kilo bags from a different wholesale supplier who purchased the remainder of Cafe Imports stock...so I am thrilled to be able to provide this bean to my customers for at least 3-4 weeks or until it sells out :) I purchased for about $9.80 a kilo or so....the good thing is it comes in 17.24 kilo vacuum seal bricks but I have to purchase an entire bag which is 69 kilos. The beans appear to be very fresh and in perfect condition.

Hmmm...Thanks for the Pache detail. Sadly the label on the beans is in Japanese and my wife is translating.

if you want, you can email to Pedro Escheverria (manager of the farm) at [email protected]

he should be able to help you better than anyone else in this forum.
good luck.

PS: by the way, Pache is a coffee varietal, like Bourbon or Caturra.

forestcall

Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Visit site
I will pull out my notes tomorrow on the details of my first roast. But I usually charge to 385 F or so ( i edited the original post). I thought I could get a slower rise to FC and thus have a more chocolate taste. My customers are Japanese and tend to dislike sour or bitter taste. Except that's exactly what I got! I figured if I dropped at 425 F then the BT would drop low enough to get a satisfactory rise to FC.

I feel like I should go to a school but I cant get away because this is currently how I make my family's income.

Your charge temp seems pretty low... I generally start at 380-400 F for my charge temp on a unknown bean. Is that normal for your roaster? What are your times to hit dry/FC/etc?

forestcall

Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Visit site

@ensoluna
Thanks so much for the email to the farm :) I just emailed him and am excited for his reply.

I looked at your website and noticed it was suspended. I have an extra web server that I prepaid for 2 years. I can give you free hosting for 6-12 months if you like. You were so kind to me that its the least I could do. I would not be able to provide much "customer support" but I can give you 2 GB space. Its running CPANEL and I can make you your own account.

Thanks!

Last edited:

forestcall

Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Visit site
Wow.. that is great.

I will help you the best I can. Perhaps we should take this to Facebook Messenger or SKYPE?
NOTE: I am in Japan.

My Skype: forestcall
My Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/forestcall

But quickly here are some ideas.

1) Perhaps you can pay to turn the account back on? By contacting HostCo and just pay for 1 month.
2) The domain contact info seems to be [email protected] (Jose Enrique Marizuya Telone)
3) Did you register this domain or did the designer?
4) Do you have a BACKUP of the site?
5) You might be able to explain to the HostCo that you are the owner and the designer left the project and you cant get him to respond. By showing proof such as business cards, bank name, tax info with the website name as the company name, etc.
6) If you can not reach the original designer and HostCo will not give you access to the site then you will need to build a new site.

Please dont respond here since this is off topic.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Forestcall, it looks like Ensoluna has got you pretty well taken care of -- he's very good about that, very knowledgeable, a great forum contributor -- but if looking for additional roasting info I usually find good info at www.sweetmarias.com. Tom, the owner, sells green beans to home roasters and has a whale of a website. It is like a coffee university if you cared to go through all the info there. Anyway he's got roasting notes for most all the coffee he imports going back about 20 years. When I'm in a pinch I like to at least see what he says about a particular bean.

forestcall

Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Visit site
@Expat -- Thanks very much! I did not know Sweet Marias had so much useful info.

This Coffee Forum is very helpful. The community is so thoughtful and kind. Totally opposite of Reddit :)

Latest posts