Roastmaster App (feedback, comments)

forestcall

Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Visit site
Hi All-

Im looking for a dependable Roasting Monitor and Profile software.

Does anyone have experience using "Roastmaster App".
Im looking for any feedback with people's user experience. How does it compare to other roasting softwares out there.

I purchased Phidget-SBC3 and Phidget-1048 and the Phidget USB Wifi Adapter. Using this setup has corrected a few issues.
I purchased a new Ipad 9.7inch 2017 that works well with Roastmaster since its an IOS APP.
What is most important to me is keeping the clutter around my roasters down to a minimal while at the same time keeping a close eye on my roasting curves/temp etc.

I have used "Cropster" for a handful of months but could not see much difference from "Artisan".
Im not a fan of "Artisan" as it is clunky.
I briefly tested "Typica" but had some issues with the probe setup.

Thanks!

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
I use Roastmaster on my Ipad with a Range probe directly connected to the phone jack and it works really well for me. Very simple setup, track all my inventory and roast cycle, temp profile, no glitch of any problem so far. I have been using the app since 2-3 years and the Range probe since 3-4 months. The only thing is that the reading of the Range probe is about 5-8 degree off compare to an other probe that is sitting at the same location in the roaster.

trk_koa

Aug 2, 2013
Reno, NV
Visit site
I have been using it for several years and it has been great for me. The iPad I use is old (iOS 7) so I have not updated to the latest version. It does what I need. I use the phidgets set up with an Apple airport and a power strip. Screwed all the pieces to a piece of wood to keep it all neat and contained and that sits on a restaurant prep table next to the roaster. Just the power cord and the cable to the roaster hang off. I bought an iPad mount on Amazon and attached it to the prep table. There are lots of features to RoastMaster. I track to a reference curve and prior roasts. I use the alarms feature extensively, set it 15 seconds before an expected milestone. Also, the expense is in the phidgets. RoastMaster is inexpensive and without recurring costs.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Just a FYI... you may want to check to make sure its 64 bit (most apps are)... with the new version of IOS coming out anything that is 32 bit will be phased out of the store/no updates. You can check by going into your device General > Settings > About > Applications. It will list anything that is 32 bit.. to my shock GoodReader is only 32bit.

trk_koa

Aug 2, 2013
Reno, NV
Visit site
Just a FYI... you may want to check to make sure its 64 bit (most apps are)... with the new version of IOS coming out anything that is 32 bit will be phased out of the store/no updates. You can check by going into your device General > Settings > About > Applications. It will list anything that is 32 bit.. to my shock GoodReader is only 32bit.

Danny did a major rewrite on Roastmaster to make it fully iOS 10 compatible earlier this year so I'm pretty sure it will be fine going forward.

Here are a couple pics if my set up.
40650bb4df0e51843821b66737f32f72.jpg

121ee8acecddb7e0e8ef70e72f25c6d9.jpg

forestcall

Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Visit site

Wow!!! thats cool. Thank you for taking the time out to upload these photos!!

I do about 1200+ kilos a month. And I need to get something more friendly. I have run a few test batches with RoastMaster and thus far i am really enjoying the relationship.

Im about to change to a different roaster brand from Israel.

I want to have several of these guys -
Silon ZR-7 7Kg Shop Roaster | Coffee-Tech Engineering

Thanks again!

forestcall

Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Visit site
Thanks! I actually went on the Forum for Roastmaster and asked this exact question. Seems Danny will be supporting IOS 11+

forestcall

Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Visit site
But seems you are enjoying the overall experience with Roastmaster. Seems like the curves are easy to follow. And you can easily just add 5-8 degrees in your head. But it would be nice to be able to add or decrease degrees in some preferences settings area.

I use Roastmaster on my Ipad with a Range probe directly connected to the phone jack and it works really well for me. Very simple setup, track all my inventory and roast cycle, temp profile, no glitch of any problem so far. I have been using the app since 2-3 years and the Range probe since 3-4 months. The only thing is that the reading of the Range probe is about 5-8 degree off compare to an other probe that is sitting at the same location in the roaster.

OpenCup

May 12, 2016
Visit site
Roastmaster only works on IOS. No plans for PC based program. He is doing some cool things with probes & Thermocouples and I am working with him to make Bluetooth enabled connection boxes for TC's and other devices that work off 4 - 20 input, like a gas flowmeter to auto record gas as you roast.