Micron thickness for Vacuum bags? *VACUUM TALK*

forestcall

Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Visit site
Hi All -

FIRST OFF - I use the VacMaster VP215
I want to know what MICRON SIZE bag will keep the vacuum seal? And not deflate.

After I roast 1+ KG of green beans which is more than 90kg per day. I let the beans sit in stainless steel strainer baskets for 6-9 hours with a cloth towel on top to prevent dust.

Then I (my staff) load into 25 GRAM bags and 50 GRAM bags and vacuum seal.

BIG PROBLEM!!!! After 24 hours the vacuum bag is "fluffy" and no longer sealed because the gas leaks. In fact the bag is not even puffed out like a balloon.

What MICON BAG will allow the bean to remain sealed indefinitely?

I am looking for the ULTRA VACUUM SEAL.

120 Microns?
150 Microns?

Please detail your experience!!! :)VacMaster VP215

Last edited:

forestcall

Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Visit site
Your coffee is degassing... the bags are not 'leaking'.

I am sure you meant to be clever.....so I wont reply with a smartass remark :)

If I use a bag with enough thickness (130+ microns) then the gas does not leak.

I am asking if anyone has a preference for a specific bag thickness to prevent gas from leaking :)
The thicker the bag the more it costs. I make more money by handing out free samples.

BTW - If this was as simple as beans simply degassing then humans would not be able to store gas in containers.....kids would not have helium balloons which is heavier than CO2 :)

Last edited:

forestcall

Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Visit site
UPDATE:

I ordered some 5MIL and 6MIL bags from Ebay. Basically I will test bags around 130-160 microns thick. This should prevent the degassing. $2.40 with shipping for 100 mylar bags that should fit 50-60 grams of beans.
The thinner vacuum bags seem to degas overnight. I want to keep the gas trapped until opened for at least 6+ months.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
de-gas up to 7 days or more???? that long? perhaps I should invent a machine that can "suck up" the gas from the beans in an hour or two.... that could be an idea :+)

Certainly the degassing occurs mainly in the first few days... but here is a case in point. I'm looking to change to a different stock coffee bag... last Friday afternoon I took this new bag and filled with coffee just to see how the bag looked. To my surprise when I went into the shop today the bag was filled like a ballon. The sample bag didnt' contain a one way valve installed so the CO2 was trapped. The coffee was roasted on the 4th!!! and I filled the bag Friday the 13th! I was shocked!

forestcall

Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Visit site
Certainly the degassing occurs mainly in the first few days... but here is a case in point. I'm looking to change to a different stock coffee bag... last Friday afternoon I took this new bag and filled with coffee just to see how the bag looked. To my surprise when I went into the shop today the bag was filled like a ballon. The sample bag didnt' contain a one way valve installed so the CO2 was trapped. The coffee was roasted on the 4th!!! and I filled the bag Friday the 13th! I was shocked!

What is the thickness of these bags? This is EXACTLY what I am looking to do. I do NOT want any of the gas to escape. In my personal tests bags less than 110 Microns the gas escapes and the bag looks deflated. The next thickest bag I could find was 120 microns and the gas did not escape and instead inflated the bag like a balloon. In the first 4 days the coffee is not so tasty unless you brew within 5 min of roasting and the beans are still hot. Just 30 min after the beans are cold the brew taste is horrible as in vomit! But after 4+ days the beans taste incredible!

We sell in 100 gram packs (25g x4 vacuum bags). On espresso grind this is about 530 ML of water for the best clear taste. We sell mostly as in 98% as dark roast (Japanese don't like any any any any any any sour flavors found in medium to light roasts).

I usually roast at super high heat to get to 1st crack at 7min and drop the gas to low for 2 min and then i turn the gas up so the beans climb to 2nd crack at 11 min. and i finish at 12:30 - 13:00 min. My customer base hates anything remotely sour.

forestcall

Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Visit site
how about these machines?
or you can just modify your vacuum cleaner to suck up the gas faster? ha ha

View attachment 8571View attachment 8572

Good joke! made me laugh :)

As I mention in a earlier post in this thread.......my customers HATE any type of sour. Japanese people love low low acid. Dark roast goes rancid and stale much faster than light / medium to full-city. So if I can vacuum so NO gas escapes which seems to be 120+ microns thick then when the customer opens the pack (even 9+ months later) the coffee tastes like it was roasted a few days ago.

In Japan many people give gifts. We want these gifts to be coffee. And often times people do not open these gifts for several months or 1+ year. When the customer opens a vacuum sealed bag 12+ months later the beans are still PERFECT!. However if the gas escapes then the coffee taste stale.

BTW- Guatemala coffee is the most favorite with my customers. Very good taste.

Last edited:

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
IMG_2006.JPG

This is after one month if memory is good and they hold the pressure so far.