BEST Roasting Automation Software? $$30k 5-7kg roaster?

Hi all

I need a 5-7KG roaster.

I want incredible kick ass automation software. Like amaizing. Incredible.....WOW!!!!

I will pay any amount of money.

Basically I am using a bank loan in JAPAN.

I currently sell about 3000 LBS of roasted beans per month and am growing fast.
    My secret is I give away 2 X 25 gram vacuum bags of coffee to strangers on the street. I also give away 19 liters of hot coffee in 4-liter air-pump containers all over the area I live in Japan. I walk around and give away 200 ML coffee cups. And when I "think" i found a real coffee lover I give them a free bag of 2 x 25 gram vacuum sealed bags of #1 grind coffee. Actually a Mexico Verde and a blend of Columbia and Guatemala. My cost is around $1.50 USD per bean give away.

ANY ---- WHO --- I am looking to buy a roaster with incredible attention to the software for AUTOMATION of roasting.

I don't care about the price.(I do care) I just want the roaster to be bad ass!

BACKGROUND - I was a professional software engineer for 25 years before coffee. In fact I worked for Google.com for 9 years as a software engineer / coder.
    Last edited by forestcall; 10-15-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Hi Forestcall, kudos on your success and growth!

I can't recommend any software as we don't use roasting software (I'm not against it, we just don't use it right now). One thing though -- it looks like YOU NEED TO BUY A BIGGER ROASTER! Unless this is a second roaster for small batches while you work away on a much larger roaster. Because you must be roasting on something, correct? Or maybe someone else is doing the roasting for you?

If you don't have a roaster and you're going through 3,000 lbs of ROASTED beans a month that means you're really going through somewhere around 3,650 lbs of GREEN coffee per month. That translates into about 1,660kg. If you have a 7kg roaster that's AT LEAST 237 roasts a month. Figure non-stop roasting at 15 minutes a roast and that's 60 hours of roasting. Now you've got to package the coffee. Sheesh, that's easily another 100 hours. And you say you are growing. And you've got paperwork. And selling. And marketing. And handing out coffee. And no doubt all kinds of other stuff going on too.

Maybe a 30kg is where you want to be? Now you're down to 14 hours of roasting and have room for growth. If you're at 3,650 lbs now, who knows, you could be double that next year!?!

I looked at a Geisen 30kg recently. Nice machine. Nice software. Joper has a nice 25kg machine (tho' they may have been purchased by BESCA Roasters -- trying to find out but can't get an answer yet). And there are a lot of other good machines out there. Of course, 30kg is going to push you over budget so you'll have to consider that too.
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been -- Jimmy Buffett (via Mark Twain)

By the way, you should check all the threads about the software topic. Lots of good information. It has helped me make up my mind about which I will use when the time comes.

I'd be keen to know about the Joper /besca thing. We've got a joper 25kg with full profile software. Great machine! That's hooked up to a besca afterburner

I said BESCA but was wrong, it is Bussink (BMI). Here's the link: BMI Coffee Products

Super Moderator
    I think Paul is on this forum...Check his site out. Good dude knows his stuff. Roaster Dynamics coffee industry?s best roaster control systems
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

I think BMI are just an agent for Joper. BMI used to be an agent for Besca, we bought an afterburner from them and it was Besca branded when it arrived.

That should be really expensive. I really liked what I've read here. From my point of view, I can say that it's a very nice idea. One piece of advice from me, be careful with loans. It's a very tricky subject. Moreover, I think you must have a good engineer in your team, without him all this would be very hard. My friend studied as an engineer, he graduated recently with a very high score. Now he is practicing at https://www.sandfieldengineering.com/toggle-clamps/, a great company with high-quality professionals, so he hopes to get a job with a good salary there.
    Last edited by Ansand; 12-13-2020 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks for sharing

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links