First Post - Wiring Question about my New (OLD) Sivetz roaster

CoffeePort

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
My father in law recently passed away and left me all of his roasting equipment. He used to have a coffee shop in N Portland, Oregon and roasting was one of many passions of his that he instilled in me before he passed. He had a drum roaster that I am looking at getting installed in the far future but more importantly, I found a 1989 8lb Corvallis made Sivetz roaster in the back of his garage that I am hoping to get up and running ASAP at my house. The problem is, documentation is pretty much nonexistent for this thing and I am trying to figure out exactly how to fix it because it needs a little work.

It is an electric unit with a 30 AMP cord coming out of the back and what looks to be just a 15 Amp orange extension cord coming out of the bottom. The orange extension cord is clipped off at the end leaving exposed wires and nothing else. The 30 AMP plug is intact. There are no switches or buttons or cords of any kind at all.

So here's my question. What the heck is the orange extension cord for? Is it a control wire that should be wired to a switch? is it power for the fan while the 30AMP runs the heating element? What do I need to check and do to get this thing up and running?

I'll be posting pictures when I get home tonight to show you guys exactly what I'm looking at. It's really a beautiful piece of coffee history and I'd love to get it working again. Thanks in advance for your help!

CoffeePort

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
Alright so it took more than a day but here are the pics.

IMG_20171020_182715070_zps6pfjzsft.jpg

IMG_20171020_182724110_zps4xfem9wy.jpg

IMG_20171020_182734019_zps0s7ht4q6.jpg

IMG_20171020_182805346_zps8kzdlhgn.jpg

IMG_20171020_182832489_zpspfihs0m6.jpg

manoeuver

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
My father in law recently passed away and left me all of his roasting equipment. He used to have a coffee shop in N Portland, Oregon and roasting was one of many passions of his that he instilled in me before he passed. He had a drum roaster that I am looking at getting installed in the far future but more importantly, I found a 1989 8lb Corvallis made Sivetz roaster in the back of his garage that I am hoping to get up and running ASAP at my house. The problem is, documentation is pretty much nonexistent for this thing and I am trying to figure out exactly how to fix it because it needs a little work.

It is an electric unit with a 30 AMP cord coming out of the back and what looks to be just a 15 Amp orange extension cord coming out of the bottom. The orange extension cord is clipped off at the end leaving exposed wires and nothing else. The 30 AMP plug is intact. There are no switches or buttons or cords of any kind at all.

So here's my question. What the heck is the orange extension cord for? Is it a control wire that should be wired to a switch? is it power for the fan while the 30AMP runs the heating element? What do I need to check and do to get this thing up and running?

I'll be posting pictures when I get home tonight to show you guys exactly what I'm looking at. It's really a beautiful piece of coffee history and I'd love to get it working again. Thanks in advance for your help!

I've got one of these too, with manuals. I've sent you a private message.

Orion231

Jun 18, 2018
SW Washington
Visit site
I am looking to buy or build one of these but guessing I will build one. I used to have one back in 2004 so I know a bit about the workings but not the specs. Does anybody know the maximum airflow (CFM) on one of these (looking to roast 10lbs but could go with 5lbs), can anyone measure the flow, or anyone have the part number from the blower? Also, if you have the specs on the heater element or part number, that would be great too.

Thanks.....

cheekygeek

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
I am looking to buy or build one of these but guessing I will build one. I used to have one back in 2004 so I know a bit about the workings but not the specs. Does anybody know the maximum airflow (CFM) on one of these (looking to roast 10lbs but could go with 5lbs), can anyone measure the flow, or anyone have the part number from the blower? Also, if you have the specs on the heater element or part number, that would be great too.

Thanks.....

I'm the Admin for the Fluid Bed Coffee Roasters group on Facebook. In our FILES section we have scans of a number of different Sivetz models original documentation.

I also currently have FOR SALE a 1998 38# (15kg) Sivetz Roaster, complete with chaff cyclone/stand and Sivetz external bean cooler. It is in Kearney, Nebraska but I am willing to palletize and ship F.O.B.