Profile roasting

brianlauzon1982

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
Hello. I am very curious about roasting profiles. If somebody were to create a coffee profile on let's say a Hottop, how do you translate it to another machine?

Brian

211bma

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
You need to be familiar with both roasters, how each responds to heat and air applications, and also how the thermocouples read (they are likely in different locations in the machine, and will read slightly differently because of manufacturing differences). After that just try to follow your preferred curve making adjustments for those differences. Adjust and repeat until you get what you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
So then what do coffee roasting business do when they switch to a different machine, start from scratch?

Most roasters have such a deep sensory catalog that starting from scratch is not exactly what happens in moving to a new machine. It might take a few batches to see what differences are in roasting on the new machine, but in a way, I've been told, that it's kind of like riding a bike...an experienced roaster would know how to correct for the variations.

Peaberry

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
What's the diff between roasting and baking beans?

Are you asking about roasting the coffee beans in the oven? If that's the case, then roasting and baking are pretty much the same thing - but, you're using a high temperature, and you need to stir the beans a few times to keep them from burning.

We haven't had many discussions here, about roasting coffee in an oven, but if you're still curious, here is a website that explains how to do it.

https://ineedcoffee.com/home-roasting-coffee-in-an-oven/

Rose