Another question about bean storage

I now have some 32 gallon NSF certified bins (with lids) for storing my coffee beans.
In the Summer, humidity here reaches fairly high levels.
I will keep some beans for almost 6 months.
Should I just dump the beans in my storage bins or do I bag them in something?
I'm thinking bagging and then placing in bins will help prevent adverse effects of humidity.
What do you do?
Thanks

mjl871

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps if you are going to store your beans for 6 months you might want to think about getting less than full bags. We have used Genuine Origin (65lbs at a time)- $10 per box shipping or La Bodega (50lbs bags) - includes shipping (a branch of Cafe Imports).

Other then that bagging would seem to keep the moisture out as a extra protection. But if the beans have a high humidity level it would keep that in as well.
We do not store in bags and then into containers (never thought of that). The only beans in bags that we have are in GrainPro and only for a short time.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Hum... heat/cold and too much/little humidity can affect quality. If you can't keep them relatively stable bring in smaller quantities. I would think bagging may help a little but if it's still humid and 100 degrees there probably is not much difference.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
No my premises are not climate controlled.

Storing the green beans in plastic bags inside the container will help some.

Are you storing the green beans in an enclosed room or storage area? Would running a large dehumidifier help remove enough humidity to help the situation? You'd be emptying buckets of water from the dehumidifier every day, but at least you'll be removing lots of humidity from the air.

Something like this may help.
https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-7...8&qid=1519917776&sr=1-5&keywords=dehumidifier

Last edited:

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I think the missing information here is temperature. Humidity without heat could be effectively dealt with by isolating beans in plastic bags, but heat will cause the internal moisture in the beans to sweat into the bag...and that would not be good. I think a sealed room with a dehumidifier, as Rose pointed out, might be a good investment in the long run, and allow you to take advantage of bulk purchases of your highest volume beans. If you can't make that investment yet...you best buy in smaller quantities if you want to deliver a consistent product.

Cheers!

Peaberry

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I now have some 32 gallon NSF certified bins (with lids) for storing my coffee beans.
In the Summer, humidity here reaches fairly high levels.
I will keep some beans for almost 6 months.
Should I just dump the beans in my storage bins or do I bag them in something?
I'm thinking bagging and then placing in bins will help prevent adverse effects of humidity.
What do you do?
Thanks

So . . . . What did you decide to do? Or, are you still thinking about it??

Thanks for all suggestions.
I must admit I wanted to buy whole bags.
In the end, I overcame desire and bought 65lb packages from GenuineOrigin which I thought were reasonably priced.
I had never heard of GenuineOrigin before, despite looking at Volcafe.
Thanks to mjl871 for drawing this partial bag seller to my attention.