Advise Please: Looking for My Next Coffee Roaster

Thor82

Apr 27, 2018
Hoboken NJ
Visit site
Hello,

I´ve been roasting low tech(popcorn popper) now for a year and I want to go to the next level. This is right now just a hobby/obsession but I would like to learn more and see where it goes. I would like to find a roaster where I can learn the basics and also have some of the features of a commercial roaster might have. If that makes sense and is possible. I´ve looked at roasters like Quest M3, Huky, BC Roaster, and Mill City. I like the Mill City ones a lot but not sure if I´m willing to spend that money right now.

If you could give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

All the best,
Thor

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Thor,

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

I always thought that the next level up from roasting with a popcorn popper would be a small roaster that you would find on the Sweet Maria's website.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/category/roasting-equipment

I have a feeling you are thinking of making a bigger jump - more than just to the next level.

We have a lot of members on this Forum who started out roasting at a very basic level. Hopefully they will be able to give you some good advise.

Rose

Last edited:

MillCityRoasters

Jun 25, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
Get a Huky and watch all of our videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfpTQQtvqLhHG_GWhk3Xp4A?view_as=subscriber

The first thing you need to learn about is coffee and what you really need to learn about coffee is a tryer and airflow control.You can spend a bunch more money on professional equipment, but you'll be buying much more of a machine than you can use right now. They Huky will be fussy, but it will not be a limiting factor to either roast quality or your ability to learn your craft.

Thor82

Apr 27, 2018
Hoboken NJ
Visit site
Thank you Steve for the advice!! I'm in the process of going through all your lessons on youtube and taking classes from roasters in New York.