Advise Please: I'm Thinking about upgrading to an Ambex YM15 roaster

cafdud

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Thinking about upgrading from a Ozturk 2 Kilo roaster to a Ambex YM15 roaster, what is the minimum charge weight of this roaster. Sometimes I only need to roast 5 or 6 pounds, is it feasible to roast this small amount. Thanks in advance

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I had an Ambex 15 kilo..it was 20 years ago though...so I might be off a bit...I think the smallest batch I did on it was 9 ? if not it was no more than 11. I have an Ambex 60 kilo and I can do 25 lbs batches easily.

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
Why not keep the Ozturk for the small roasts and get the YM15 for the larger ones, or find a 10 kilo maybe that allows your desired small roasts as well as higher capacity larger roasts.

almico

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I just picked up a 5kg drum roaster and from what I gather, about 20% of capacity is the minimum for drum machines. So 3kg for a Ambex 15 would be a place to start.

But I hear roasting partial batches is not linear on drum machines.

cafdud

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up a 5kg drum roaster and from what I gather, about 20% of capacity is the minimum for drum machines. So 3kg for a Ambex 15 would be a place to start.

But I hear roasting partial batches is not linear on drum machines.
Contacted Ambex about this, they told me 3K is easily done. as soon as I get it in I will be selling my 2 Kilo roaster. Thank folks for chiming in on this.

Cheers
Rich

If you keep a log of every roast (you definitely should), then every roast is an experiment that uses previous knowledge and adds to it.
My next roast log always references a previous roast that I attempt to emulate.
Most of the time, I keep to a fixed charge weight - these are easy except for new beans.
For those times when I must roast a small batches, the logs from previous small batches are especially useful.
I keep all roast logs in an SQL database so I can easily find previous roast logs that match my current criteria.
Did I mention that recording each and every roast in a log is very important?
Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir.

NguyenThao

Aug 27, 2018
Visit site
I had an Ambex 15 kilo..it was 20 years ago though...so I might be off a bit...I think the smallest batch I did on it was 9 ? if not it was no more than 11. I have an Ambex 60 kilo and I can do 25 lbs batches easily.