Advise Please: Experimenting with different roasting strategies

scottishscott

Sep 18, 2018
Visit site
Hey all, I'm new on this forum but, have been testing out roasting a little while. What would be the ideal minimum that you should use to test different roasting strategies?

scottishscott

Sep 18, 2018
Visit site
Minimum what? Charge weight? If so, it all depends on the capacity of your roaster...
Sorry for that. I should have been clearer on it. What I meant to say was, instead of say roasting 1 pound and finding it distasteful, would say enough beans to make a cup give the same results as a pound? Will the same timing of the smaller batch translate to the largerer batches?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Sorry for that. I should have been clearer on it. What I meant to say was, instead of say roasting 1 pound and finding it distasteful, would say enough beans to make a cup give the same results as a pound? Will the same timing of the smaller batch translate to the largerer batches?

Are you thinking of trying to roast just enough beans to make a single cup of coffee??

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
That or less than a pound batches to experiment with without wasting a bunch.

What kind of roaster are you using?

I don't recall anyone on this Forum writing about roasting less than a pound at a time, (unless they're using a pop corn maker), but maybe someone has given it a try and they will share their experience with you.

However it works out, you still need to plan on "wasting" a lot of coffee beans as you go through the process of learning how to roast coffee. There is no getting around it.

~Rose