Issues with 15 kg Ambex roaster - Looking for help

Ryguy

Nov 15, 2018
Visit site
Hello!

I am desperately looking for help.

After load of issues with airflow & chaff smoldering I'm hitting another wall with this machine.

I purchase the Ambex ~ 1 year ago from a cafe that was upgrading to a Diedrich. The previous owner had made some adjustments to the burner on the machine, completely replacing it and adding a variable controller for the gas valve.

This new burner they installed is only rated for max 50,000BTU, and has a min BTU of 20,000 which I now know is far too low for a roaster of this size. Recently I've been getting very low gas pressure (the flames are orange streaked, and will often go out).

Another major problem I have with the machine is that the temperature does not idle. Even at the absolute lowest gas setting (even with the extremely low gas pressure) my drum will climb well over 500 degrees F. Regardless of this the environmental temperature of the roaster flat lines at 370F.

I've been working toward getting a roaster to replace this Ambex, but I do need this machine to work until that day comes.

If theres one thing I'm grateful for with this machine it's that it has forced me to learn much more about the machinery. Very expensive tuition, but cest la vie.

CoffeeTec

Oct 4, 2018
Wild West
Visit site
Airflow, chaff, flame issues usually point to the need for a deep cleaning. Not familiar with this roaster but if there is a flame sensor near the pilot consider cleaning that too. If it gets too much crap on it and gets intermittent readings your burners can (should) go out.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello!

I am desperately looking for help.

After load of issues with airflow & chaff smoldering I'm hitting another wall with this machine.

I purchase the Ambex ~ 1 year ago from a cafe that was upgrading to a Diedrich. The previous owner had made some adjustments to the burner on the machine, completely replacing it and adding a variable controller for the gas valve.

This new burner they installed is only rated for max 50,000BTU, and has a min BTU of 20,000 which I now know is far too low for a roaster of this size. Recently I've been getting very low gas pressure (the flames are orange streaked, and will often go out).

Another major problem I have with the machine is that the temperature does not idle. Even at the absolute lowest gas setting (even with the extremely low gas pressure) my drum will climb well over 500 degrees F. Regardless of this the environmental temperature of the roaster flat lines at 370F.

I've been working toward getting a roaster to replace this Ambex, but I do need this machine to work until that day comes.

If theres one thing I'm grateful for with this machine it's that it has forced me to learn much more about the machinery. Very expensive tuition, but cest la vie.

Is this the roaster that you're selling in this thread: http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/c...ng-sell-ambex-ym15-refurb-job.html#post104123