Need Technical Help: Ambex - Watlow EZ-Zone PM6 - Mac OS

seion

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I just purchased a Ambex and it came with the Watlow EZ-Zone PM6 and the Roaster Dynamics Software. I was curious if anyone knows if the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]USB-2-485-WE cable that comes with the Ambex roaster would work with Mac OS and where I can get a driver. I would like to use Artisan and its MODBUS support to read the temperatures from the thermocouples.

Thanks
[/FONT]

seion

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Well I was curious as some other roasters use the Watlow EZ-Zone PM6 and I think they have a Mac driver.

Or i'd be interested at least to use with linux.

CoffeeTec

Oct 4, 2018
Wild West
Visit site
You mention the USB cable? Where does the non-computer end of the cable go?

That is, does the roaster have a built in serial/USB convertor or an external device like the SerialComm 485?

There's a ton of Artisan info online (https://artisan-scope.org) where you can probably find others who have had similar setup issues.

You may have to run "Parallel" or some other utility for Artisan on a MAC???

seion

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I am able to use the out of box Mac OS RS 485 to read from the Watlow PM6.

My issue now is trying to figure out the correct registers to read.

The Roaster Dynamics guy says "I use 240 and 244, or 360 and 440" but those are not giving me anything understandable. They are reporting back like 17012 or a number close to that and don't seem to change when heating and cooling the machine.

The watlow documentation says

"
Analog Input 1 value is contained in two 16-bit registers. Register 360 contains the two lower bytes (least significant word,LSW) while register 361 contains the two higher bytes (most significant word, MSW). Register 360 is 0x0168. The 32-bitanswer is an IEEE 754, 32-bit float data type.

The packet described is assembled and sent to the PM as one continuous stream of bits per the Modbus standard. The packetreturned from the PM is decoded per the Modbus standard.
In this example, we extract 0x977D 0x429C from the packet for the answer. Changing the Modbus Word Order to High Word,Low Word we see the answer is 0x429C 0x977D.

Converting the raw data 0X429C977D to a 32-bit floating point value shows the analog input is reading +78.295 degrees.
"

I am trying to figure out if its because I need to read two registers for one value or not and if thats even possible inside artisan.

seion

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
IMG_20181207_135225.jpg

See screenshot above

CoffeeTec

Oct 4, 2018
Wild West
Visit site
Cool. And I meant to ask for the model number, but everything is in your image.

Your Watlow shows a "dash" 1 number so it's definitely current/compatible with the Modbus protocol.

And what is the serial/USB adapter you are using (make/model)?

seion

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
It's and ftdi model it's a USB to rs485 cable. See photos below. It communicates with the watlow, but I can't figure out the correct registers to read.

IMG_20181231_164625.jpg

IMG_20181231_164638.jpg

Last edited:

CoffeeTec

Oct 4, 2018
Wild West
Visit site
- How are you connected to the Watlow? A port on your roaster or hard-wired?
- What's your test for successful communicating with the Watlow?
- Have you tried using a different computer (maybe a PC) with Artisan installed or other data bridge device?
- Is your Watlow configured correctly?
- Have you contacted Watlow?
- Searched artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.com ?

seion

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
- What's your test for successful communicating with the Watlow?
- Have you tried using a different computer (maybe a PC) with Artisan installed or other data bridge device?
- Is your Watlow configured correctly?
- Have you contacted Watlow?
- Searched artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.com ?

IMG_20181229_114508.jpg

CC / CA / CB from the watlow connect to a port on the side of the machine, the USB to RS485 then connects into that

IMG_20190104_101018.jpg

I've used artisan / random register scanners to communicate with the watlow, they all give me values back but I am unsure which one is correct as they all look random.

image.png

image (1).png

Here is a document from watlow on modbus, not sure if this helps any

The watlow was configured by Roaster Dynamics Software Company. It works with their software properly, but I dislike their software and it only runs on windows.

artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.com does not have anything on this particular setup

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 10.19.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 10.19.34 AM.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 191

CoffeeTec

Oct 4, 2018
Wild West
Visit site
I think there is still a lot of trouble-shooting (homework) you can do on your own in an attempt to tie up some of these loose ends.

For instance, does the baud of the Watlow as setup by Roaster Dynamics match what is in the baud rate field in Artisan?

Are the white/blue wires on the back of the Watlow (CC/CA) in the correct positions?

Have you tried Artisan using a different computer (PC) connected to your roaster?

And if you can't find an existing scenario on artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.com, why not post yours?

Can't speak about the integrity of your data bridge device as I've only used SerialComm... https://www.serialcomm.com/USB_adapters/USB_converters/usb_to_isolated_rs485_rs422/usb_to_isolated_rs485_rs422.product_general_info.aspx

seion

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
"Have you tried Artisan using a different computer (PC) connected to your roaster?" Yes, I have a 1lb Huky at home hooked up to a Phidget 1048 that works fine.
"Are the white/blue wires on the back of the Watlow (CC/CA) in the correct positions?", Yes, per Watlow Manual
"For instance, does the baud of the Watlow as setup by Roaster Dynamics match what is in the baud rate field in Artisan?" Yes

The watlow is configured / wired correctly as if I hook up Roaster Dynamics software to the port and cable it works fine, and the software reads the thermocouple temps correctly inside the software.

The issue is finding the right registers to read for Artisan.

I might try and call Paul tomorrow from Roaster Dynamics to see if I can figure out more.

Below is modbus register scanner screenshot.

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 2.55.33 PM.png

I wired in series the phidget 1048 behind the watlow today to see if I could just use that, but the phidget has 20 degree higher readings. I used the same Type J thermocouple wire that is used from the original thermocouple. So from the thermocouple to the watlow Is the original wire then from the same port that the wire goes into the watlow i put in my Type J wire to extend a few inches to a phidget 1048.

Last edited: