Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    - How are you connected to the Watlow? A port on your roaster or hard-wired?
    - What's your test for successful communicating with the Watlow?
    - Have you tried using a different computer (maybe a PC) with Artisan installed or other data bridge device?
    - Is your Watlow configured correctly?
    - Have you contacted Watlow?
    - Searched artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.com ?

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeTec View Post
    - What's your test for successful communicating with the Watlow?
    - Have you tried using a different computer (maybe a PC) with Artisan installed or other data bridge device?
    - Is your Watlow configured correctly?
    - Have you contacted Watlow?
    - Searched artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.com ?

Need Technical Help:  Ambex - Watlow EZ-Zone PM6 - Mac OS-img_20181229_114508.jpg

CC / CA / CB from the watlow connect to a port on the side of the machine, the USB to RS485 then connects into that

Need Technical Help:  Ambex - Watlow EZ-Zone PM6 - Mac OS-img_20190104_101018.jpg

I've used artisan / random register scanners to communicate with the watlow, they all give me values back but I am unsure which one is correct as they all look random.

Need Technical Help:  Ambex - Watlow EZ-Zone PM6 - Mac OS-image.png

Need Technical Help:  Ambex - Watlow EZ-Zone PM6 - Mac OS-image-1-.png

Here is a document from watlow on modbus, not sure if this helps any

The watlow was configured by Roaster Dynamics Software Company. It works with their software properly, but I dislike their software and it only runs on windows.

artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.com does not have anything on this particular setup
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Technical Help:  Ambex - Watlow EZ-Zone PM6 - Mac OS-screen-shot-2019-01-04-10.19.34-am.png  

Here is a document from watlow, not sure if this helps

Need Technical Help:  Ambex - Watlow EZ-Zone PM6 - Mac OS-screen-shot-2019-01-04-10.19.34-am.png

Need Technical Help:  Ambex - Watlow EZ-Zone PM6 - Mac OS-screen-shot-2019-01-04-10.19.44-am.png

I think there is still a lot of trouble-shooting (homework) you can do on your own in an attempt to tie up some of these loose ends.

For instance, does the baud of the Watlow as setup by Roaster Dynamics match what is in the baud rate field in Artisan?

Are the white/blue wires on the back of the Watlow (CC/CA) in the correct positions?

Have you tried Artisan using a different computer (PC) connected to your roaster?

And if you can't find an existing scenario on artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.com, why not post yours?

Can't speak about the integrity of your data bridge device as I've only used SerialComm... https://www.serialcomm.com/USB_adapters/USB_converters/usb_to_isolated_rs485_rs422/usb_to_isolated_rs485_rs422.product_general_info.a spx

"Have you tried Artisan using a different computer (PC) connected to your roaster?" Yes, I have a 1lb Huky at home hooked up to a Phidget 1048 that works fine.
    "Are the white/blue wires on the back of the Watlow (CC/CA) in the correct positions?", Yes, per Watlow Manual
    "For instance, does the baud of the Watlow as setup by Roaster Dynamics match what is in the baud rate field in Artisan?" Yes

The watlow is configured / wired correctly as if I hook up Roaster Dynamics software to the port and cable it works fine, and the software reads the thermocouple temps correctly inside the software.

The issue is finding the right registers to read for Artisan.

I might try and call Paul tomorrow from Roaster Dynamics to see if I can figure out more.

Below is modbus register scanner screenshot.

Need Technical Help:  Ambex - Watlow EZ-Zone PM6 - Mac OS-screen-shot-2019-01-08-2.55.33-pm.png

I wired in series the phidget 1048 behind the watlow today to see if I could just use that, but the phidget has 20 degree higher readings. I used the same Type J thermocouple wire that is used from the original thermocouple. So from the thermocouple to the watlow Is the original wire then from the same port that the wire goes into the watlow i put in my Type J wire to extend a few inches to a phidget 1048.
    Last edited by seion; 01-08-2019 at 04:36 PM.

You have the current driver for your FTDI chip or is that already supported in your MAC OS version?

The baud rate definitely matches... Watlow/Artisan?

And do you know what the MAP setting is on your Watlow?

Beyond that I would be researching any additional ideas myself.

Please share your findings and (hopefully) solution.

Good luck.

After learning a lot about the Watlows and Modbus, I am finally able to read from the thing lol

Here are the correct settings for Artisan for a Watlow PM6C1FC-1XXXXXX that comes with the Ambex YM-5 Roaster

Need Technical Help:  Ambex - Watlow EZ-Zone PM6 - Mac OS-screen-shot-2019-01-15-11.14.02-am.png

The one key thing is to make sure you are using FLOAT as the decode and uncheck the words check mark.

Newer versions of MAC OS come with the correct drivers to read the FTDI USB to RS485 Converter cable, so no need to install anything.

Analog Input 1 is at register 360 and is a 32 bit float
    Analog Input 2 is at register 440 for MAP 1 and 450 for MAP 2 - ( Configurable in the Watlow Setup Menu for Comm's ) - ( Mine was set for MAP 1 )

Great job doing the extra research to connect the dots.

Thanks for sharing the details and happy roasting!

I don't know if Watlow has their tools available for download online but they have a DVD... Controller Support Tools. Which they usually ship with new Watlows. It contains lots of helpful goodies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links