How to roast coffee beans as a starter

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
So i just bought a burr grinder, but my freinds tell that roasted coffee beans would test better. So how can i roast coffee beans ?

Hi CoffeeloverII,

It would be better if you would spend some time figuring out how to use your new coffee machine, selecting and buying roasted beans, and using your new grinder first -before jumping into roasting your own coffee beans.

For now . . . you need to go out and buy roasted coffee beans and give yourself some time to get used to your new coffee equipment. Buying a home roasting machine and learning how to roast green coffee beans may be something you may want to do in a few years, but not now.

~ Rose

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I agree with Rose... get your feet we with your brewer and various beans on the market. It's not easy to roast good coffee nor is less expensive. There are tons of great roasters - find one in your area and go support them!

dhuber

Dec 10, 2018
Visit site
I'm going to experiment roasting coffee in my air popcorn maker. My reason for roasting is it would be nice to have some fresh roasted coffee as I typically only make it on weekends and I'm the only coffee drinker in my house. My coffee gets old before I can get through a 10 oz bag.

ogopogodude

Dec 11, 2018
Visit site
Hello Everybody ..! I am new to these forums. I am on a quest for a consistently good cup of coffee as well as a consistent espresso. Yes, .. I do roast my own coffee (beans) .. and have been since winter of last year.

I use a "deep dish" cast iron pan (best Costco purchase, like, ever) ... along with a metal whisk on top of my gas stove. I get really good results. My cast iron pot/pan comes with a cast iron lid that /I like to put on from time to time during roasting to keep the intense smokey aromas locked in, then I remove it and get back to whisking my beans. Boy, its a lot of work over a 1/2 hour -- 45 minutes but well worth it. I need to buy a decent miller / grinder as those 19.99 metal bladed plastic item I use, .. works ... but particle size is probably not consistent. I buy my beans online from a U-roast-it website and have been quite happy thus far. I am thinking of a roaster but I am perplexed as to what to choose. This goes for a new grinder as well. I am going to hold off until I learn way more ...

Last edited: