Confused on how much capacity.

My daughter and I are considering roasting our own beans in a startup coffee shop. (We're bumping heads with a Starbucks close by) My question is... if I wanted to roast for my shop, sell roasted beans in-house to customers, and maybe have a small capacity to roast for a few wholesale accounts... what capacity of roaster do I need?

Also, what are some of the better quality machines I should be looking for? I want a good trouble free roaster. The "Mercedes" of all machines isn't in my budget.

Thanks

Honestly, I would suggest you start with a local roaster vs. roasting in-house. There is an art to roasting quality beans and it takes time to develop your pallet and roast consistently good quality. Is it possible to do all at once - sure... but keep in mind its a whole separate business.

To answer your question - if you are going after wholesale accounts you need at least a 3-5K machine. Anything smaller you will have to roast multiple batches for a single 5lb bag. And considering you will be making about $5/lb wholesale your labor cost will eat you alive if its a smaller capacity roaster. The sweet spot for price point in that size is probably the Mill City branded North Roasters. Their 3K is around $14K with shipping - you will need to add installation / exhaust work / green coffee / bags / and all the misc. Real live numbers your at $20K-$25k to get going. If you roasting just for your consumption you could probably drop down to smaller roaster - say a 2K but your only saving a few thousand dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    Honestly, I would suggest you start with a local roaster vs. roasting in-house. There is an art to roasting quality beans and it takes time to develop your pallet and roast consistently good quality. Is it possible to do all at once - sure... but keep in mind its a whole separate business.

To answer your question - if you are going after wholesale accounts you need at least a 3-5K machine. Anything smaller you will have to roast multiple batches for a single 5lb bag. And considering you will be making about $5/lb wholesale your labor cost will eat you alive if its a smaller capacity roaster. The sweet spot for price point in that size is probably the Mill City branded North Roasters. Their 3K is around $14K with shipping - you will need to add installation / exhaust work / green coffee / bags / and all the misc. Real live numbers your at $20K-$25k to get going. If you roasting just for your consumption you could probably drop down to smaller roaster - say a 2K but your only saving a few thousand dollars.
    An easy way to start is a small shop roaster. Sonofresco out of WA makes them. Keeps it simple for a beginner roaster, they have a 1lb and 2lb roaster. Suoer easy set up and operation. Lovely in a storefront setting.
    I own a 1k mill city, it takes a lot if TIME to learn good tech.
    If you own a shop already, add fresh roasted, build your story! Grow small-slow last long time. (Ancient proverb)

Quote Originally Posted by derek.peris View Post
    An easy way to start is a small shop roaster. Sonofresco out of WA makes them. Keeps it simple for a beginner roaster, they have a 1lb and 2lb roaster. Suoer easy set up and operation. Lovely in a storefront setting.
    I own a 1k mill city, it takes a lot if TIME to learn good tech.
    If you own a shop already, add fresh roasted, build your story! Grow small-slow last long time. (Ancient proverb)
    However... this is too small for any wholesale business.

Super Moderator
    I would not go the air roaster route. I feel that the air roasters produce coffee that lacks body. Hire a roaster to train you...Where are you located? Maybe someone here can suggest someone near you to train you.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links