Confused on how much capacity.

Rosco917

Jan 8, 2019
South West USA
Visit site
My daughter and I are considering roasting our own beans in a startup coffee shop. (We're bumping heads with a Starbucks close by) My question is... if I wanted to roast for my shop, sell roasted beans in-house to customers, and maybe have a small capacity to roast for a few wholesale accounts... what capacity of roaster do I need?

Also, what are some of the better quality machines I should be looking for? I want a good trouble free roaster. The "Mercedes" of all machines isn't in my budget.

Thanks

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Honestly, I would suggest you start with a local roaster vs. roasting in-house. There is an art to roasting quality beans and it takes time to develop your pallet and roast consistently good quality. Is it possible to do all at once - sure... but keep in mind its a whole separate business.

To answer your question - if you are going after wholesale accounts you need at least a 3-5K machine. Anything smaller you will have to roast multiple batches for a single 5lb bag. And considering you will be making about $5/lb wholesale your labor cost will eat you alive if its a smaller capacity roaster. The sweet spot for price point in that size is probably the Mill City branded North Roasters. Their 3K is around $14K with shipping - you will need to add installation / exhaust work / green coffee / bags / and all the misc. Real live numbers your at $20K-$25k to get going. If you roasting just for your consumption you could probably drop down to smaller roaster - say a 2K but your only saving a few thousand dollars.

derek.peris

Aug 15, 2018
Blaine, WA
Visit site
Honestly, I would suggest you start with a local roaster vs. roasting in-house. There is an art to roasting quality beans and it takes time to develop your pallet and roast consistently good quality. Is it possible to do all at once - sure... but keep in mind its a whole separate business.

To answer your question - if you are going after wholesale accounts you need at least a 3-5K machine. Anything smaller you will have to roast multiple batches for a single 5lb bag. And considering you will be making about $5/lb wholesale your labor cost will eat you alive if its a smaller capacity roaster. The sweet spot for price point in that size is probably the Mill City branded North Roasters. Their 3K is around $14K with shipping - you will need to add installation / exhaust work / green coffee / bags / and all the misc. Real live numbers your at $20K-$25k to get going. If you roasting just for your consumption you could probably drop down to smaller roaster - say a 2K but your only saving a few thousand dollars.
An easy way to start is a small shop roaster. Sonofresco out of WA makes them. Keeps it simple for a beginner roaster, they have a 1lb and 2lb roaster. Suoer easy set up and operation. Lovely in a storefront setting.
I own a 1k mill city, it takes a lot if TIME to learn good tech.
If you own a shop already, add fresh roasted, build your story! Grow small-slow last long time. (Ancient proverb)

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
An easy way to start is a small shop roaster. Sonofresco out of WA makes them. Keeps it simple for a beginner roaster, they have a 1lb and 2lb roaster. Suoer easy set up and operation. Lovely in a storefront setting.
I own a 1k mill city, it takes a lot if TIME to learn good tech.
If you own a shop already, add fresh roasted, build your story! Grow small-slow last long time. (Ancient proverb)

However... this is too small for any wholesale business.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I would not go the air roaster route. I feel that the air roasters produce coffee that lacks body. Hire a roaster to train you...Where are you located? Maybe someone here can suggest someone near you to train you.