Me and my first coffee roaster, the Gene cafe

Newcon

Feb 24, 2019
Visit site
Hello all, so I’ve been chasing great coffee for years. Now that I’m retired I am trying to step up my game, so I am trying my hand at roasting instead of driving 20 miles every week for fresh coffee. I’ve been watching a lot of mill city roaster vids and even tried copying some of their receipes wothout luck, I know it’s the difference in roaster capabilities. So? Anyone who has experience with starting out simple and moving up roaster wise could you please relate the differences in temp accuracy between the gene and upper end roasters? When I use the gene at max temp the roasts are greatl but if I attempt stepped temp recipes on say an Ethiopian my final product turned out grassy tasting, and this was following the temps and times ( although the actual roast time was double on my gene ) that I tried to duplicate from a MCR vid, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tex_Thai

May 17, 2019
Visit site
Newcon,
I am in a similar boat to you, since retiring I also want to get the most enjoyment outta this coffee thing, learn some things about blending, roasting, brewing and drinking espresso and other coffees.
I got the Gene Cafe and have only used it a couple of times so far, but with good results, great even if compared to the popcorn poppers I have been trying to use. First time I tried a stepped temp and time plan I read about, worked fairly well. But this last time (taking someone's suggestion) I pre heated, then set the temp on 227 C for the whole roast (of course it takes time to get there, then after I hit cool it still roasts a bit as it does the cooling cycle) and got a really nice Vienna roast on my bean blend in 16.5 mins. plus cooling. Easier than the stepped method, tasted great, but I am still learning.
IF you share any of the things you learn, I am ready and willing to learn from you or anybody who knows more than I do, which is nearly everybody.
God bless,
Wayne

Tex_Thai

May 17, 2019
Visit site
^^^^^^^^ Musicphan, thanks. I am trying to bring out the chocolate flavors and I REALLY dislike bright. acidic taste. So would you still recommend staying away from second crack?
Thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Wayne - brightness and acidity are somewhat inherent to some origins - particularly Kenya so some may be present at any level (however most aren't that way). On my roaster, I hit the snaps of the first crack start at 385 degrees and finishes around 400 degrees... if I'm wanting a lighter/acidic coffee that's where I stop the roast. On the other extreme is dark roast - on my roaster second crack usually starts around 432. My 'dark roast' gets dropper around 428.. this results in a dark roasted coffee with just a touch of oil coming out of the bean. Most of my coffees I stop between 410-416 degrees... a good solid medium roast. I find if I roast much darker than I start to lose the origin flavors and start to taste roast. Essentially what you are doing is caramelizing the sugars within the coffee bean... just like cookies - the longer you bake the less sweet, crisper and more 'burnt' they taste. There is nothing wrong with any roast level as long as you like it...

Tex_Thai

May 17, 2019
Visit site
^^^^^^ Yes, Musicphan, I hear you. I have stayed well away from Kenyan coffees for that reason (acid) and have some Costa Rican beans that are nearly undrinkable to me at any roast level. Too acidic. I lean toward natural processed or honey processed coffee beans, and try to limit the washed coffee to just high light my blends a bit.
I will be able to control my roast temps MUCH better with the Gene Cafe, as before with the popcorn popper, the whole roast was nearly burnt in around 3 mins. We have 240 VAC over here and so lots of power for roasting. ha ha.
And Centigrade degrees, but I can convert.
Thanks, God Bless,
Wayne