Roasters Supply Checklist...any suggestions?

GypsyKat

Mar 18, 2019
Visit site
Any suggestions would be appreciated:

-Roaster
-Laptop
-
Bagsealer
-Coffee Bags w/valve
-Scales
-Vacuum
-Stamp & Ink (for roast date)
-Fire extinguisher
-Large garbage bins for green storage (for beans
not ingrainpro bags)
-Food Grade buckets/bins
-Scoops
-Green coffee
-Destoner (what do small time roasters do about this?)
-Moisture Meter

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
You have all the essentials I can think of... missing all cupping items / test brewers, etc. If you buy good quality green you shouldn't need a Destoner. Save your money on the moisture meter - again if your buying fresh crop from good suppliers its not a priority. I would buy a color meter that does whole bean/groudn before moisture meter.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I agree 100 percent with Musicphan. On your fire extinguishers...make sure you get the water ones. The red cans are "chemical" and a pain in the ass to clean up if they are used. I would also get a fitting for your 3 compartment sink so you can attach a hose to it. Makes putting out fires a lot easier.

GypsyKat

Mar 18, 2019
Visit site
Thank you to both, @Musicphan & @Topher, those are great tips.

Any recommendations on heat sealers? I'm looking for a Direct Heat Sealer, but noticing the 15mm seal band is more common than finding a 10mm. I need just a little more play room on my bag up top.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I'm using similar packaging... and they are a bit of a pain to seal due to thickness. You need a sealer that will seal 21 mil (5.4 x 4) and most list a maximum of 20 mil. The big manf in heat sealers is AIE (http://www.aieco.com/enet/index.asp) - don't let the name fool you, they are all built in China. I didn't have any luck with the lower end hand sealers... they simply didn't get hot enough to seal properly. I ended up purchasing this model: http://www.aieco.com/enet/views.asp?hw_id=425 . It does a pretty good job but I still have to hit it twice with the sealer unless I'm doing a lot of back-to-back seals. The unit tends to heat up when doing multiple seals and you don't have to hit twice. The vertical format is VERY nice... no bending down, etc... simply hold the bag and hit the foot pedal.

DIfferences between all of these models - 1) Thickness of seal... 5/10/15 mm is common... I personally wouldn't choose a 15mm / a 10mm is already pretty thick especially on 12oz bags. 2) The wattage of heating elements 3) Single/Double Impulse - this 'double' basically has two heating elements to seal from front to back & back to front.