Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help: Does anyone know how to connect a roaster with the natural piped in gas?

Hi,

Does anyone have or now how to connect a roaster with the natural piped in gas?

With propane gas is easy, it has enough pressure, but I am planning on having a roaster in my coffee shop, 2.5lb roaster.
    I was told that roasters require 30-40 pounds of pressure, and that the city pipe line has only 8 pounds of pressure.

How to make this work, how does other coffee shops, roasteries hook up their roasters??

I have seen a bunch of 12kg roasters in the coffee shops, hooked up to the natural gas. How????

I know that propane and natural gas require different fittings because of the pressure differential of an open line versus pressurized tank containing the gas in it's liquid state. Just make sure the roaster you buy has the option for natural gas...I think most do.

You need a new pressure regulator to replace the original one (the one on the propane tank):Please help: Does anyone know how to connect a roaster with the natural piped in gas?-ng.jpg
    You may or may not need those orifices (depends on if you have them on your roaster).

As others have mentioned - the fittings for natural gas & propane are different. Do you know if your roaster was set up for which gas?

Whoever told you it requires 'lbs' of gas must be referring to propane since its pressure to a liquid state & bottled. Natural gas is typically lower in pressure since its gas vs. liquid - typically measured in inches of WC or Water Column. My 12k Roaster runs at 3" WC for reference.

1 PSI = 27.7 inch of WC at 4C. That conversion kit from Cal Flame will keep pressure between 6-12 inches water column for most home appliances. You may want to check with the roaster manufacturer to get a pressure number and hire a professional to install it if it's for commercial use.

Stefan I converted my YM2 from propane to natural gas. I simply changed the regulator spring in the Honeywell gas valve SV9501M2700 from "red" (propane) spring to "silver" which is the natural gas spring. Natural Gas Spring Kit: 394588 Stainless Spring Silver Cap. This regulates the gas pressure down to 3.5" of water or there abouts. I changed the pilot orifice from the propane orifice to the natural gas orifice Natural Gas BCR-18 0.018 Orifice Size Mfg. # : 390686-4. Then I also opened up the 5 main burner jets from #73 orifice for propane to #58 drill size orifice. This won't be applicable for all roasters, but worked for my YM-2
    Last edited by bigMoose; 04-11-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Super Moderator
    I am pretty sure you need to hire someone to come in and hook that up for you unless things have changed or it was just my area. Fire marshal looked for a tag from who hooked it up for us. If you do not know what you are doing it could end badly. I had a gas guy tell me that propane can blow up your house but natural gas can blow up the block.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/durham-...ay-2019-04-10/
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    As others have mentioned - the fittings for natural gas & propane are different. Do you know if your roaster was set up for which gas?

Whoever told you it requires 'lbs' of gas must be referring to propane since its pressure to a liquid state & bottled. Natural gas is typically lower in pressure since its gas vs. liquid - typically measured in inches of WC or Water Column. My 12k Roaster runs at 3" WC for reference.

Yes, the dealer of those roasters told me I have to pick between natural or propane since the burners are different, so that is set, roaster will be made for natural gas.

Now what I was told is that I have to provide the regulator to the roaster.

What kind of regulator is he referring to and since you have it hooked up on gas, how did you hook it up?
    Just directly, or through a regulator or fitting of some kind?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    You need a new pressure regulator to replace the original one (the one on the propane tank):Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NG.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	9908
    You may or may not need those orifices (depends on if you have them on your roaster).

Ok, so this regulator goes between the city gas line pipe and the roaster? Just that?

Quote Originally Posted by bigMoose View Post
    Stefan I converted my YM2 from propane to natural gas. I simply changed the regulator spring in the Honeywell gas valve SV9501M2700 from "red" (propane) spring to "silver" which is the natural gas spring. Natural Gas Spring Kit: 394588 Stainless Spring Silver Cap. This regulates the gas pressure down to 3.5" of water or there abouts. I changed the pilot orifice from the propane orifice to the natural gas orifice Natural Gas BCR-18 0.018 Orifice Size Mfg. # : 390686-4. Then I also opened up the 5 main burner jets from #73 orifice for propane to #58 drill size orifice. This won't be applicable for all roasters, but worked for my YM-2
    My roaster will be already set for natural gas when it comes to jets, burners. So I am good there.
    What I was told is I have to now get a regulator for hooking up the roaster to the natural gas pipe.
    What did you use for that? SO anything inside my roaster is good for gas, now I just need some kind of regulator to connect it to the natural gas pipe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links