Help needed on regulator for 2kg Cafeli

vtsmike

Apr 12, 2019
Sarasota, FL USA
Visit site
Thought I would add an update.
I am a home/enthusiast coffee roaster/drinker (or nut, depending on who you ask).
I hooked up a BBQ grill type regulator, on end of a 12' hose, and opened valves, held my breath, pressed the igniter on the machine, and with fire extinguisher nearby, am happy to report without incident I have been happily roasting for 8 months now.

vtsmike

Apr 12, 2019
Sarasota, FL USA
Visit site
David, here is copy of reply that I sent to someone asking about 5kg they were looking at......

Hi, I am a home roaster/enthusiast, so my opinion is very limited by experience. I cam from Behmor (which I still use for my wife's decaf) and this was a big jump. I was 'afraid' of the unknowns, which now are known, and I am fairly comfortable with.

I got the machine used, and was told it worked perfect. This was not true, the motor for airflow was bad. And it was metric. So here in USA it was $250 repair, but I have a motor now that will last a lifetime. After seeing the amount of 'dirt' on this "regularly maintained" machine, and the motor problem, please factor that into my answers.

It seems to take a while to bring up to charge temperature, 20 minutes.
I am using a temp probe where the factory installed a port (I consider it ET) and another in one of the screw holes that the sight-glass is mounted with (I consider BT)
I only do max 2 batches at one time, so recovery on the 2nd batch seems very fast, so perhaps the 20 minute initial charge is normal, and points to the beefiness of the drum.
The airflow control is very questionable for repeat-ability - but for my current roasting method it works.
Factor in the quick (hotter drum) recovery, and my lack of Q-grader cupping, batch to batch seems a little different. To a professional this would probably be undesirable and manageable.
Considering the price I paid, and repair cost, I still count myself a happy customer with Cafeli.
I did contact the USA contact, he send me a 5kg manual (they don't have one for 2kg), in Spanish, that helped re-assure me that I was on the right track to roasting with it. He was sincerely helpful, knowing I bought a used machine.

Hope this helps.

Mike