Under Developed Kenyan Washed

RoasterAlec

May 15, 2019
Conyers, Georgia
Visit site
Hello,

Out of all of my coffees I’m currently roasting, I have a washed Kenyan that has been particularly difficult to get right. I’m getting overwhelming tomato and vegetal notes and flavors from it which I would assume is underdevelopment, but have yet to crack the code. If I go longer I’m getting darker than I’d like, and it has a tendency to level off and nearly bake. I’m new to the these African coffees and I’m not sure what I’m missing. We’re blending it as apart of our espresso and I’ve currently roasted about 40 lbs (4 batches).
Im on an Diedrich IR-7.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Your basics sound fine... my 12K USRC hits 1st at 385 and I drop most SO's at 402. It may be just the coffee - I find a lot of Kenyans tend to be high in acidity and bright. And I would typically say to increase your development time (which generally mutes acidity) but you're already at about a 25% development time.

My next suggestion is following this process for roast development. You basically roast and trier out samples every 15 seconds and cup and find the degree of roast you find best. I get it - its hard to spend the green to dial in coffees but I use Neil's process as a starting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sct2FWVkmDw

Tex_Thai

May 17, 2019
Visit site
Everything I have read, heard and experienced says don't put an acidic coffee, like a Kenyan in an Espresso blend. Perhaps use your Kenyan in a different brew method for best drinking.
Just a thought.
Hope you find what works,
God Bless,
Wayne