Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by peterjschmidt View Post
    Based on your lighter flame 'test', I'm curious about how your roaster controls airflow - where the air is being drawn from. Is there a damper that is out of adjustment? I'd have to check my Ambex next time I roast, but it seems odd that you'd have the much draw into the trier when the airflow is supposed to be 100% drum.
    Included is a diagram and note of the airflow. Help Please:  Diedrich IR5 2016 - ET verses BT-41a8c3b6-a03e-49b2-aa4c-c63033a4d524.jpeg

sae
    I see that you never raise your air flow above 50%. Do you get rid of all your chaff even with 50% fan speed. I've had roasts where the ET is lower than the BT but as long as BT is still rising then I don't worry about it too much, especially in your case where the ET is measured after the air has gone through the bean mass.
    Last edited by sae; 10-01-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sae View Post
    I see that you never raise your air flow above 50%. Do you get rid of all your chaff even with 50% fan speed. I've had roasts where the ET is lower than the BT but as long as BT is still rising then I don't worry about it too much, especially in your case where the ET is measured after the air has gone through the bean mass.
    Thanks..........
    I seldom use more than 50% fan, I think all my chaff is removed. How can I tell?. I am going to do a few test roasts with 50% and 100% fan while watching my ROR.
    Regards.........

sae
    Any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by sae View Post
    Any updates?
    I have done a few more roasts with fan at 100%, at 185C until drop and some with 100% fan just after FC for a period of 30 seconds. I cannot see anything obviously different apart from a sharper drop in bean temp towards the end of the roast. I cannot see any difference with regards to chaff. I don't see any chaff at 50% or 100% fan. Is there a way of telling if all the chaff has been removed?
    Thank you

Law - if the chaff wasn't removed you would still see a touch of white/silver 'film' left on the beans... nothing like what you would expect from a roasted coffee. Some higher density coffees tend to shed chaff a little later in the process but if you drop past 1C you shouldn't have any remaining chaff (or very, very little).

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    Law - if the chaff wasn't removed you would still see a touch of white/silver 'film' left on the beans... nothing like what you would expect from a roasted coffee. Some higher density coffees tend to shed chaff a little later in the process but if you drop past 1C you shouldn't have any remaining chaff (or very, very little).
    Thank you.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links