Help Please: I Need Artisan Setup Help!

Hello Coffee Roasters!

I am looking to switch over my current roasting setup in order to begin using Artisan 2.0.
    I am roasting on a USRC 12kg equipped with a Phidget 4 temperature Sensor. My biggest issue that I am having with this is achieving an accurate temperature reading within Artisan. When I hook up the computer to my roaster, the output temperature reading is something astronomical, +300F off, from what my roaster is actually reading.

Any ideas on what I may be missing? I've tried downloading the Phidget driver from the website, but that doesn't seem to help. What other information might be helpful in figuring this out??

THANKS
    ~AG

AG - is Artisian reading normal temperatures when cold? If you go into the Device Assignment (Config > Devices) do you have the right Phidget device selected? Most likely a 1048 TC (for thermocouple).. there are several Phidget controllers. If memory serves me right Artisian simply reads the Phidget info..

Musicphan - Atisan does read normally when the roaster is cold, but once I turn the flame on, the temperature readings increase faster than the readout on my roaster. I'll double check what phidget controller I have selected.

Also, check to see if there is a setting for the type of thermocouples. I don't believe you adjust this with the Phidget but double-check. I know when I run it the thermocouples through a different device I have to set the type of thermocouples or I get odd readings like your getting. And don't hesitate to drop Marko a support ticket - a very nice guy and very response. Just don't forget to donate to help fund development

Cool thanks so much...can I ask who Marco is??

Marko is the developer of the software... you can find his contact on the Artisian home page.

Under Config>Device>Phidget make sure you have the correct thermocouple type checked. It sounds like you have a J-Type and Artisan is set for a K.

Also ck that the thermocouple inside the machine is clean as they can get dirty fast!

Apart from ensuring you have the correct thermocouple type configured in Artisan to match your actual thermocouple, one thing I noticed was that the computer you are using should not be connected to a power source. The roaster is grounded and, if the computer is also grounded, you will probably have a ground loop that will skew the temperature readings. I always use a laptop to run Artisan. One time, I tried connecting the laptop to power and the temperature readings immediately skewed. That said, not by anywhere near the amount you have mentioned.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links