Roasting Light

Law104

Good Day,

To date I have been roasting to the start of 2nd crack. I have noticed that if I try and shorten my DTR I get underdeveloped coffee, noticeable by taste. CGA's present.

My question is, how do I approach a light roast while maintaining a fully developed roast.
Hotter or colder charge temp relative to my standard roast?
Longer or shorter period in the first and or second phase? etc

I am concerned that if I drop at FC or soon there after I will be well underdeveloped.

Many thanks..........

Jrodanapolis

Dec 10, 2019
Visit site
Good Day,

To date I have been roasting to the start of 2nd crack. I have noticed that if I try and shorten my DTR I get underdeveloped coffee, noticeable by taste. CGA's present.

My question is, how do I approach a light roast while maintaining a fully developed roast.
Hotter or colder charge temp relative to my standard roast?
Longer or shorter period in the first and or second phase? etc

I am concerned that if I drop at FC or soon there after I will be well underdeveloped.

Many thanks..........

Can you post an image of a profile that you thought was underdeveloped? That might help us understand what's going wrong.

Law104

typical roast profile.jpg

Good Day,

My question is, how do I approach a light roast compared to a typical roast?, see attached. My concern, should I shorten the DTR the roast could be underdeveloped. On a typical roast, should my drop temp be any lower than 221 C, it will be underdeveloped. I can roast with a shorter DTR and achieve a 221 (plus) drop temp. This will shorten my DTR. Will this roast then be underdeveloped.

Please bear in mind I am self taught, so some of my questions may be unclear. Feel free to query me as above .

Regards............

Attachments

• typical roast profile.png
    typical roast profile.png
    831.3 KB · Views: 111

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Your charge temperature should be fine... you are hit mallard about 5 minutes which is about right. I would suggest slowing down your roast between mallard and first crack - 3:20 is pretty quick through that stage. I tend to get baked/underdeveloped notes when I roast too fast through this stage. Lastly, your time from the first crack to drop will be shortened since you will be roasting lighter/dropping earlier. I typically try and hit milestones of 4:30-5min to mallard, about equal time from mallard to the first crack, then 90-2min in development (from the first crack to final temp). I.E. 5min to 150-155C, 930-10min to 195C and drop around 11:30-12min at 210C. Of coarse everything will vary a bit depending on load size/ roaster / goals.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
One other possibility with Rawanda. How old is the coffee ?
Rawanda did have some issues with the "potato disease" a few years ago. I think it was o.k. last crop but I don't know about the 17/18 crop

Law104

Your charge temperature should be fine... you are hit mallard about 5 minutes which is about right. I would suggest slowing down your roast between mallard and first crack - 3:20 is pretty quick through that stage. I tend to get baked/underdeveloped notes when I roast too fast through this stage. Lastly, your time from the first crack to drop will be shortened since you will be roasting lighter/dropping earlier. I typically try and hit milestones of 4:30-5min to mallard, about equal time from mallard to the first crack, then 90-2min in development (from the first crack to final temp). I.E. 5min to 150-155C, 930-10min to 195C and drop around 11:30-12min at 210C. Of coarse everything will vary a bit depending on load size/ roaster / goals.

Musicphan thank you,

I have noticed that my 2nd phase is short (End of dry to FC), any suggestions on when and approx by how much to reduce pressure without loosing the the roast. My thoughts would be to start reducing pressure around max ROR and using less pressure during the middle phase.

Regards.........

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
It's really roaster specific ... but I would start cutting back energy earlier - maybe around 4 min or so. Your coffee will have enough energy to keep it rolling to your peak ROR. It's really trial and error... aka the art of the roast :)

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Looking good... you may want to stretch out it a bit more in the development period.. but it's obviously too your taste buds. When I'm first getting a coffee I try and dial it in via this method... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sct2FWVkmDw . Neal wrote Typica which is another roaster software... super bright guy. This process, however, is not very good if your trier is small...I'm not sure what your roasting on.

Law104

Looking good... you may want to stretch out it a bit more in the development period.. but it's obviously too your taste buds. When I'm first getting a coffee I try and dial it in via this method... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sct2FWVkmDw . Neal wrote Typica which is another roaster software... super bright guy. This process, however, is not very good if your trier is small...I'm not sure what your roasting on.

Thank you,

I am roasting on a Diedrich IR 5.

almico

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Almico thank you,

May I ask what roaster you use?

The graph looks great, I am sure the coffee taste good.

I have a significantly modified, fairly generic 5kg Turkish roaster. It's a 2017 model that I found used and cheap! I'm negotiating a new roasting location now and thinking about getting an K&M UG15.

Last edited:

almico

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site

I find most high density coffees do well in this roast development range and drop temp. If I go longer and hotter, let's say to 400* it loses acidity and picks up astringency. Beyond that (415*) the acidity is mostly gone, but so is the dryness. The trick is to get it hotter faster and build the pressure in the bean early. This pressure, like a pressure cooker, helps force the heat transfer to the inside the bean quicker.