Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I too don't like the sellers who only offer 12 oz. bags. I'm in the US and have been searching among the local roasters near me for one that I can count as my go to source for roasted whole beans. I had found one that has good coffee where I knew that the beans had only been roasted about a week before. But all their bags are 12 oz. I settled on one of their beans, a medium to light roast that seems to be their most popular. What I really liked is that instead of only selling the 12 oz. bags, they would fill your coffee canister with a full pound for the same price. But when I went back to try a different roast, they said they don't have that one in anything other than 12 oz. bags. That sent me on a search for another roaster. And I found another one with less variety but with really quality beans and can buy the beans knowing they've been roasted no more than 3 days prior to buying them. And they sell their coffee in one pound bags. So, the other roaster lost my business because they are to cheap to offer one pound bags or fill my cannister with the roast of my choice. Their loss. My gain.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan62 View Post
    I too don't like the sellers who only offer 12 oz. bags. I'm in the US and have been searching among the local roasters near me for one that I can count as my go to source for roasted whole beans. I had found one that has good coffee where I knew that the beans had only been roasted about a week before. But all their bags are 12 oz. I settled on one of their beans, a medium to light roast that seems to be their most popular. What I really liked is that instead of only selling the 12 oz. bags, they would fill your coffee canister with a full pound for the same price. But when I went back to try a different roast, they said they don't have that one in anything other than 12 oz. bags. That sent me on a search for another roaster. And I found another one with less variety but with really quality beans and can buy the beans knowing they've been roasted no more than 3 days prior to buying them. And they sell their coffee in one pound bags. So, the other roaster lost my business because they are to cheap to offer one pound bags or fill my cannister with the roast of my choice. Their loss. My gain.
    One of the challenges as a roaster that does mail order is the cost of shipping. My 12oz bags w/packaging/box / label equals about 14.5 oz.. anything under an lb ship for around $5 (give or take by region). Once you go above that it has to go Priority mail and is usually $8-9. And for $8-9 its the same price to send 5 lbs... With all that being said that's why most roasters keep it at 12oz. The trend started in the grocery store to keep a price point but modern specialty roasters are somewhat limited by shipping options. I offer my customer 12oz and 2lb bags to get over the postage costs... and don't get me started on the conversation about "amazon shipping is free"..

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    One of the challenges as a roaster that does mail order is the cost of shipping. My 12oz bags w/packaging/box / label equals about 14.5 oz.. anything under an lb ship for around $5 (give or take by region). Once you go above that it has to go Priority mail and is usually $8-9. And for $8-9 its the same price to send 5 lbs... With all that being said that's why most roasters keep it at 12oz. The trend started in the grocery store to keep a price point but modern specialty roasters are somewhat limited by shipping options. I offer my customer 12oz and 2lb bags to get over the postage costs... and don't get me started on the conversation about "amazon shipping is free"..
    Good information. Obviously I didn't even give the shipping issues any thought. So I feel your pain.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links