Super Moderator

Locking in containers

Who is watching the market? I had a buddy try and lock me in back in December. Everyone was worried the price was climbing quickly. A few weeks later and we are $.30 lower. Glad I waited. Anyone have a prediction on when we will see that ever so scary "10" year jump? I was lucky the last jump and locked in at $1.17. The market jumped to over $3! That year we locked in on about 20 containers...not looking forward to another spike!
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Super Moderator
    Looking back to that scary time in coffee....when it jumped a majority of the roasters switched from lb bags to 12 oz. They left the price the same to make up the difference in price. Then when the market came down they left it as is. What happens next time?? Do people start selling 1/2 lbs again?
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

I noticed a few local roasters going to 10oz bags.. hate it. So much packaging waste but people seem to like the price point.

Iím lost in this subject and wanna be schooled

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    Who is watching the market? I had a buddy try and lock me in back in December. Everyone was worried the price was climbing quickly. A few weeks later and we are $.30 lower. Glad I waited. Anyone have a prediction on when we will see that ever so scary "10" year jump? I was lucky the last jump and locked in at $1.17. The market jumped to over $3! That year we locked in on about 20 containers...not looking forward to another spike!

Topher,

It sounds like ordering coffee beans is like investing in the stock market.

When you "lock in" the price of a container, is it for a certain number of containers, or is it for whatever quantity you buy for a certain length of time?

How much coffee do you buy? Since a container can hold about 21 tons of coffee in bulk or 18 tons in bags, it sounds like the phrase, "You must go through a ton of coffee" really applies to you_!!
    Last edited by PinkRose; 01-15-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    It sounds like ordering coffee beans is like investing in the stock market.

When you "lock in" the price of a container, is it for a certain number of containers, or is it for whatever quantity you buy for a certain length of time?

How much coffee do you buy? Since a container can hold about 21 tons of coffee in bulk or 18 tons in bags, it sounds like the phrase, "You must go through a ton of coffee" really applies to you_!!
    Nope it doesnít thanks for that Iím just a small time coffee drinker/enthusiast

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    When was the last "10 year jump" ??? Is it getting close to 10 years already? It doesn't seem like it was all that long ago, but time is flying by.

If roasters start selling 1/2 lb. bags, maybe they'll also switch back to using the 16 ounce bags for those who want a full pound of coffee. The price will go up, no matter how you look at it.

I hope it doesn't happen.

Here in Ireland and most of the rest of Europe they (factory roasters) went from 250g to 200g and reformulated their blends adding a lot of Robusta. When prices went down the factory roasters didn't change a thing, just pocketed the extra profits.
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been -- Jimmy Buffett (via Mark Twain)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links