Help Pleace: Has anyone used an infrared thermometer to link to cropster or artiisan?

Hi There,
    I am wondering if anyone has experience using an infrared thermometer to link to cropster or artisan? Omega sells one that looks like it might work well in a modded or home built machine

Depends on what temperature you are trying to control, internal (core) or surface.

I am hoping that it will give me a better picture of actual bean temp since it only measures solid surface and not ambient air temp within the roaster chamber. I will have a regular thermometer for exhaust temp

If you only care about bean surface temperature, infrared thermometers are OK. But you need those with bigger apertures, not the common ones that can only measure temperature at one spot. You need some kind of average. I don't know how well they could work under smoking condition though. Also like any other cooking, internal (core) temperature is the real meaningful indicator. But I don't know any existing technology can do that.

Yest It will give a 8inch diameter average within the drum. Even internal core temp is can be a variable for profile development based on convective/conductive heat differences in the roaster setup. The smoke is interesting though, I will ask the Manufacturer. Thanks!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links