Help Please: Need information on basic IR5 Diedrich settings

Law104

Good Day

I have an IR5 roaster from Diedrich.
I mostly roast African beans (SHG).
I load 4kg of green beans maximum.
The roaster was ordered to use LP gas.

Please could you answer the followingWhat is the maximum pressure I should be able to set, currently I cannot get above 22Mbar ?
What should an average charge temp be. I am currently charging at 220-225 C ?
What should my roast duration be, currently a typical roast takes 12:00-14:00min ?
What should my drop temps be, my Full City Plus is about 227-230 C ?
100% is like a hurricane, I never use it. One can only set 50% or 100%. I am temped to only use 50% from just before 1st crack.

If I try roast light I always get underdeveloped roasts.

I have been roasting for approx 4 years and strongly feel, and have always felt that there is something wrong with the roaster. See previous emails, of which I have had no response from Diedrich.

Thank you ......Lawrence

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I typically charge around 205C for the standard load... when I'm pushing the capacity I do charge a bit higher. And certainly, some coffees need a bit of push so I will charge higher. 12 min is about average for me. Drop temps vary... its super dependent on your thermocouple placement and other variables. On average, however, I hit the first crack around 196C and 2nd crack 222C. But keep in mind - what my roaster reads won't be what yours necessarily will. This 50 or 100% setting - is that fan or heat settings?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I don't know what to tell you on fan... I've only roasted on variable speed fan units. I generally use about 25% fan until Maillard then up to 50... full on just prior to first crack to stretch development to drop.

Law104

I don't know what to tell you on fan... I've only roasted on variable speed fan units. I generally use about 25% fan until Maillard then up to 50... full on just prior to first crack to stretch development to drop.
Musicphan thank you for your responses,
I basically do the same, 25% at 145C and 50% at 160C I don't go to 100% as this causes my ROR to drop way to low towards the end of the roast. My MBar settings during the development start roughly at 6 drop to 5 at 12% and 4 at 15% and 3 at 20%, but does vary depending on the bean. (I cant go lower than 3Mbar)
Regards Lawrence