Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    expat!

you are right! and they aren't friends, just a couple who would like to start a coffee sales distribution business with out putting money out! Im too expensive for them, which suits me just fine.

It sounds like this may be solved for but keep in mind keep the charge per lb on green weight vs. roasted. Don't skimp yourself by the 15% moisture loss.

Super Moderator
    Musicphan...I charge a dollar a lb to just roast it. I charge on the finished weight. I once had an ex employee call me and ask for me to toll roast for him. I agreed and told him I could for a buck a lb. He said thats crazy! He said he figured it would be $.80 or so. I said I guess I can come down to $.90 green. He was stoked. lol. That was the worst toll roasting gig I have ever done. They basically bought floor sweepings from the warehouses. It was about 15k lbs he needed. It took us 2 days for us to knock it out. My wife both nights threw my clothes out. They smelled like liver and mold. That was the worst coffee ever!!!
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    Musicphan...I charge a dollar a lb to just roast it. I charge on the finished weight. I once had an ex employee call me and ask for me to toll roast for him. I agreed and told him I could for a buck a lb. He said thats crazy! He said he figured it would be $.80 or so. I said I guess I can come down to $.90 green. He was stoked. lol. That was the worst toll roasting gig I have ever done. They basically bought floor sweepings from the warehouses. It was about 15k lbs he needed. It took us 2 days for us to knock it out. My wife both nights threw my clothes out. They smelled like liver and mold. That was the worst coffee ever!!!
    LOL... gotta keep the wife happy! I just base my toll roasting off green weight... that way I don't have to worry about finish weight and it makes it easier for me. That was actually the suggestion by the customer ... he had his roaster go down and I roasted for a few months during the transition. But whatever works!

Charge a lot. Basically sending the polite message that you do not want to do it, but if they pay you too much, you'll make an exception.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links