Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Roasting Style/temperatures

Guys I am new in the fresh roasting shop business. So I am very interested to talk to guys like you about the roasting.
    here I have some questions, Please answer if you find time:
    1) I read that roasting temperature is 220 C, me I hot machin up to 185 C and drop coffee, first crack occurs at 163-5 C (depending on coffees) and second one begins at 175-6 C. in 15-17 minutes it reaches my very dark roast. Am I doing anything wrong? Or if no, how you guys roast at 220?

Do you have a bean thermal probe that is measuring bean's surface temperature? Sounded like your temperature gage is measuring air temperature inside the drum. First crack starts when beans surface temperature is about 205 C, but the air temperature inside the drum could be at 163 C. Temperature at second crack differ from bean to bean but generally speaking it should be at about one minute after first crack is finished. So from the beginning of first crack to the start of second crack it should take about 3 minutes. Your roasting time of 15 - 17 minutes is within the correct range. If you and your customers like your coffee, then you are doing it right.

Have you been to the site below?

http://www.bootcoffee.com/articles.html
    You want cream and sugar?
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

Thanks, sounds interesting. To tell you the truth I feel doubtful about it anyway! I believe that if the sourse of heating beans is hot air insight the drum, then the air should be hotter then beans?!
    By the way I roasted Huehuetenango till the second crack (just a few pops in the second crack) and it seemed at least better. To tell you the truth I had an imagination that this coffee was much better and may be that is the reason why I am so frustrated about it.

Temuri

Hi Temuri!
    Where are you from and what kind of roaster are you using??

Hi, from Georgia and I have 5 kg batch Has garanti Hsr 5 and 60 kg one of Toper TKMS 60.

I am not from states, republic of Georgia

Hi!

I am planning to open roasting facility and small shop in Czech Republic. Our company will start operating in January. That is when I will order roaster. Are you happy with Has Garanti?? And should not it have thermo probe?

Quote Originally Posted by kavovnik
    Hi!

I am planning to open roasting facility and small shop in Czech Republic. Our company will start operating in January. That is when I will order roaster. Are you happy with Has Garanti?? And should not it have thermo probe?
    Ok, not flying in the sky for happyness but it is a good roaster, It is able to make a really good roast.
    Thermo probe -- please tell me what is it?

Re: Roasting Style/temperatures

Quote Originally Posted by Temuri
    Guys I am new in the fresh roasting shop business. So I am very interested to talk to guys like you about the roasting.
    here I have some questions, Please answer if you find time:
    1) I read that roasting temperature is 220 C, me I hot machin up to 185 C and drop coffee, first crack occurs at 163-5 C (depending on coffees) and second one begins at 175-6 C. in 15-17 minutes it reaches my very dark roast. Am I doing anything wrong? Or if no, how you guys roast at 220?
    I reread it and noticed that I have forgotten to mention that the drop out temperature is 182-188 C (depending on coffees and roast color). i.e. 188 is very dark almost burnt coffee.

I was referring to your thermometer. One is showing temperature of the beans inside of the drum and the other one is showing temperature of the air in the drum. Which one do you have in your roaster? Or do you have both?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links