Comparing Roasters

bbs97

Dec 1, 2005
Boston MA
Visit site
I currently own a coffee shop in Boston with a second location in progress and we are looking to start roasting ourselves. Can anybody give me some feedback on roasters they are using. As of now im between a probat or diedrich.

thanks

peter j

Nov 7, 2004
Ross on Wye, UK
Visit site
Diedrich vs Probat.

My advice to you is to decide what scale of business you have and what your budget is. I had to make a similar decision 20 months ago. Should I buy 1 Med 25Kg probat or 2 12Kg IR12's from Diedrich. Germany or the US??? I feel most cumfortable communicating in Englsh.
After roasting for this time I wish I had spent more as the business has grown another 30-40% in the last 15 months and bought a 25/30Kg roaster as well as a 12Kg IR.
How much coffee do you want to roast? How big do you want those batches and how often? How much space do you have? Spend the time and even talk to Diedrich. They are pretty good people and their machines are O.K. too. Saying that I know a roaster less than 2 hours from their factory who buys Probat. There's a cool stigma with Probat...look at Stumptown...Probat...vintage probat.
New Diedrich is O.K. but I wouldn't buy an old one.
Hope that's O.K. :D

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Check out www.ambexroasters.com I am currently using their 60 kilo....I just bought a 120 kilo, 10 kilo and a 2.5 kilo from Toper. Topers rep is in Canada..I actually met him in Boston to check out their roasters...Ambex is in Clearwater FL and they throw in training when you buy one...its a great place to train..minutes from the beach 8) Oh well good luck!

msjules022165

Oct 9, 2004
Visit site
Re: Diedrich vs Probat.

peter j said:
My advice to you is to decide what scale of business you have and what your budget is. I had to make a similar decision 20 months ago. Should I buy 1 Med 25Kg probat or 2 12Kg IR12's from Diedrich. Germany or the US??? I feel most cumfortable communicating in Englsh.

Probat Burns, Inc. is located in Memphis, Tennessee and has a fully English speaking staff providing roaster sales, parts and service.
Just FYI.