pre-roast?

muzoon

Dec 5, 2005
Estonia
Visit site
we have our coffee beans in not the best conditions and they have moisture procentage aproximatelly 18%. so we have to make pre-roast or drying.

what is the border in pre-roasting i should not exceed?

i found that color of the bean, smell and taste are related to each other. as well i have been told to pre-roast should last aproximatelly 4-5 minutes and bean should start to lose its deep greenish color. in this stage (aprox. 124 by C.) i start to feel changes in smell. it looses its moity and greeny smell that replaces with lightly backed smell.

so, should i not pre-roast in to this light backed smell? is this the border i should not exceed? or...?

I would say for a start make sure you do not accept greens with such a high moisture content. I am guessling with a moisture content this high, you are probably based in a coffee growing origin country (although I of course could be wrong). If so you should work with the growers you buy from to make sure the moisture content is in the 11-12% region. This is not hard to do- education at origin is simply a matter of spending time with the growers and working on processing and warehousing techniques. It does little good for them, or you, to be roasting coffee with such a high moisture content. PM me if you want some help on this issue.

muzoon

Dec 5, 2005
Estonia
Visit site
can you tell me more specifically about this damaging? how, what happens in the bean that it is not good? and should i roas them just in one row despite they have aprox. 18% of moisture???