Who uses the Sivetz 5lb roaster?

Jun 29, 2006
Visit site
Use a Sivetz 5lb roaster?
Are there enough of us here to get together to share info? I'm interested in the RS485 data terminals on the Barber-Colman MAQ Limitrol, for one thing, and am wondering if I can make use of them to log temp/time.

Another question I have is whether anyone has a Canadian source for the heating coils. I haven't looked yet, but the manual (such as it is) shows them to be sourced from Westinghouse originally.

How has your service record been? Any major repairs.? After 12 years on mine the Limitrol seems to be wonky but I'm still not sure if it needs to be replaced or repaired.

Jun 29, 2006
Visit site
Well,after a couple of years of use I can answer my own questions. Electronics are fine after 15 years of use and the machine has required no servicing other than replacing heating coils and washing the blower filter. What I thought was an electronic problem was solved by setting the temp probe into the roast chamber the proper distance. ( Just keep moving it until the readout registers 400F at thefirst crack. Doesn't always crack at exactly 400 but it averages out).

As far as the cost of coils goes, it's insignificant- about 10 cents per roast. 1000 roast lifespan for the coils.

I've been averaging a 9 degree rise after the heater turns off. In other words, if I set the temp for 442, the readout will reach 451 before it starts going down again. Roast time also affects the final temp- a 10 min roast will rise 9 degree but a 12 min roast will only rise 6 degrees.

The only bad thing I can say is the machine is ugly, and you have to build a stand to tilt out the roasted beans (sort of like a telescope mount)

alpaca

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
I have a 10lb Sivetz roaster in the shop. first crack around 400 and the temp climbs 7 to 10 degrees after I cut the heat. I beilieve the roster is around 15 or 16 years old. I have been using it for about 15 months now. It is an ugly robot but I've grown to like it a lot. I don't have any way to tilt the beans out I just scoop them out. I would love to see some pictures if you ever wanted to post any of your roaster. Where are you located? My shop is in Colorado.