Bean moisture/desity and its relevance to roasting

Baugo

Nov 24, 2006
Visit site
After researching all-night on this subject; this is what I have found. Please someone; correct me if I am wrong.

Accurately determining bean moisture gives us the ability to plot the rate of drying in the profile curve (or dwell time) before first crack. This is to drive out “unbound” moisture at the correct rate; so in essence, the more moisture you have in a bean sample, the more energy is needed to drive out the moisture, less moisture, less energy. Applying to much or, too little energy at this point of the roast, will greatly affect the outcome of the roast.

Determining bean density is as important as moisture, to the roasting process. Bean density affects heat transfer rate, again the denser the bean sample the more energy will be needed to roast the sample in the appropriate time frame. The less dense the sample the less energy is needed. OR, the longer roasting time will be needed to get the desired roast (flavor, aroma). IMVHO, moisture is important to the first part of the roast (first crack) and density is more relative to the second part or second crack. And of course there are going to be many variables to this process that can be debated endlessly. But this is the basic theory behind bean density and moisture relativity.