1 kg roaster

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
Hi guys! I want to buy 1 kg roaster. I want to chose from Toper, Has Garanty, Ambex 2 and coffeetec. I would appriciate any advise.
What would you say about electrical heat source. Do they work well on this size?
Do you believe it is worth to try expensive brands? What would be the difference?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have a 2.5 toper and really haven't had time to play around with it yet..but I did have fun with my 2.5 kilo that I had from Ambex...I was able to roast down to about 4 oz per roast...oh well good luck and keep us posted. :wink:

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
What would you say about electrical heat source. Do they work well on this size? Can it roast 4-5 batches per day? Or you believe they are toys? I mean 1 kg electrical ones?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I can’t honestly say I have ever used an electric roaster. You would have to call the manufacturer and get some references. I know I perfer to cook on gas compared to electric :wink:

lizzy

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
I use a 1K coffeetech electric roaster. I have been happy with it, and have been told by others that the coffee I'm roasting is is very good. I roast in an outbuilding because I don't cool the beans in the roaster. I made a stainless mesh tray that fits over a duct with a fan that sucks the heat and smoke out and cools the beans in about a minute, but there is a fair amount of smoke when I dump the beans into the cooling tray. I roast 10-15# a day for our shop.

The electric elements are very effective and consistant. once preheated to the proper temp, they roast a batch of beans without much change in temp. But it has no temp control, the elements are only on or off. There is a thermostat but it is not to do anything but shut the roaster off if it overheats. I use preheating and fan to regulate temps.

Since I haven't roasted on gas, I can't compare. I would like someday to have a larger gas roaster, to be able to roast in my shop.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
Temuri said:
What would you say about electrical heat source. Do they work well on this size? Can it roast 4-5 batches per day? Or you believe they are toys? I mean 1 kg electrical ones?
I have a 1kg Toper Cafemino electric roaster, the electrical heat source is OK, has some big advantages over gas in terms of far less demanding flue requirements. With a gas roaster the flue gets pretty hot, not so with an el;ectric roaster, so installation is simpler. You might have to replace the element occasionally, but at $15 each it's no great shakes and can be built into the cost of roasting.

It's lik a commercial roaster in miniature and is capable of around 3.5 1kg batches per hour, so in 4 hours you can roast around 14kg (30lbs of coffee). If you want to read a detailed review of the roaster (that I wrote), try here

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/coffeetime/_sgg/m2m7_1.htm