roaster to sell

lizzy

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
I may regret it, but I'm going to try to sell my 1 K, electric roaster. It does a good job, just couldn't roast enough coffee to keep up with my shop needs. I'll give someone a good deal on it.

johnsou

Mar 24, 2007
Visit site
What Brand and Model Of Roaster Is this?

What Kind of Roaster is it you have to sell? What is the age and amount of use? Also do you have a picture of this in its current condition? What is the price also?

Thanks,

John

lizzy

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
sorry to take so long to answer.

It is a Coffee Tech Engineering roaster. the manual Torrefattore model. I bought it used, and used it almost every day for a year. It is electric, runs on 220. a thermostat went out, a friend bypassed the thermostat and it works fine. It would be cheap--about $35 to replace thermostat, although it doesn't affect the roast, it is a safety thing. In case you forget you are roasting coffee....

it. The drum does grumble a bit when it first starts up cold, but I was told by the manufacturer that was normal. Here is their website.

http://coffee-tech.com/

It comes with the chaff collector shown on the website, but not the "external" cooling tray. It is made to cool the beans in the drum, you turn off the heat, turn on the fan and then dump them into the square pan after they are cooled. I rigged up a ss mesh cooling tray with a sheet metal enclosure and fan to cool the beans in minutes. I am asking $1500 for it, and it would be coming from New Mexico. I've been silly-busy. as soon as I can, I will post/send pictures. it is black instead of the red that is shown on the website. parts are available in the US.
thanks, lizzy

Irunbird

May 13, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
man, for a minute there I thought you'd given up (or sold it for sure), so I haven't checked back often (sorry!). I do have some questions. I've tried retrieving info from their website, but there's not enough detail- and it sounds like you have something that may not have all features described there anyway, so...

A few things:
1. How easy is it to dump the beans to cool (if you don't want to cool them in the drum)? If nothing else, I'd probably add on the cooling tray (if that were possible?) by buying it from the company.
2. How small of a batch can you comfortably roast? I tend to roast small (eg. 200-250 gms at a time).
3. How do you monitor and control temp?
4. Is it quiet enough to easily hear 1st and 2nd cracks?
5. And last, but not least- is it fairly easy to take apart to work on?

Sorry for the 20 questions! .. just curious. I'd probably snap it up in a heart-beat, if it's something that will fit my needs. I roast for personal use only, so I know it may be a bit overkill (I'm no stranger to that).

Thanks, Lizzy.

Ray

[edit] ya know the more I read (just browsing the company faq) the more I'm intrigued. Can you contact me via email? irunbird(at)msn(dot)com.

Irunbird

May 13, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
Hey, Lizzy- I've had some time to browse through some of your posts and I think I've got to the bottom of most of my questions. It looks like temp control may be a bit of a problem (unless you or someone can correct me with an idea?). Optimally, I'd like to know instantaneous temps (I can use a digital thermometer and thermocouple for that, so that's not such a big deal), but I'd also like to have good control over the ramp and be able to dump and cool quickly.

Let me know if it's even remotely possible with your machine (I'm pretty handy, and don't mind tearing things apart to modify them). It also looks like your fairly close- about a 5 hr drive, so there'd be no need for shipping.

Ray

lizzy

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi, sorry I took so long to notice your post. I rigged a cooling tray. I had a stainless steel mesh tray fabricated, mounted it above a fan and enclosed the fan and tray in galvanized sheet metal. this allowed me to cool a batch of beans very quickly. I still have the tray and fan, but not the enclosure. living in NM (as in AZ) roasting outside is really no problem. you can turn the heat off and on, using the element switch. but the roaster is designed to roast a tasty kilo of beans without much adjustment. the thermostat needs to be replaced, which is pretty cheap and easy. It has a temperature gauge.
the roaster is easy to take apart and work on, and parts are available. it is easy to hear the beans cracking, both cracks. my main problem with this roaster was that at 1 kilo at a time, it took too long to roast a decent batch for my shop. even with the 2 kilo, I am roasting a lot.

Irunbird

May 13, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
No problem, Lizzy- I think I'm going to wait and save my penny's for a ym-2. I got info from the Coffee Tech people (they emailed me the owners' manual), suggesting to not roast < 400 gms. I'm kinda bummed, but your comments on the ym-2 (and those of others) has me pretty excited at the range of batch sizes.. probably fits my needs a bit better.

Sorry!

Ray