Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Questions on Convection Oven Roasting

This is a discussion on Questions on Convection Oven Roasting within the Coffee Roasters forums, part of the Coffee Industry category; Awesome post! It's a doable process at home using a wide variety of techniques. It can save you money, increase your enjoyment and appreciation of ...

Awesome post! It's a doable process at home using a wide variety of techniques. It can save you money, increase your enjoyment and appreciation of coffee, and the above is a killer guide to get you started.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Hello "JavaRock"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

Wow! That was quite a first post!

Thanks for giving us such a detailed description of how you use your convection oven to roast coffee.

I'm curious to know......at what point do you usually set off your smoke detectors, and at what point does your wife complain that you're smoking up the house?

I know a lot of people who own counter top ovens that also have convection oven features, and they don't ever use the convection oven part. It's great that you've found a good use for yours.

Rose
    Actually Rose, I don't have a counter top convection oven. But I do have a built in combo convection/microwave oven w/ venting under it, above my Jenn Air Range/convection/oven. I use the convection oven in it and I only ever see a whisper of smoke make it's way out the range's vent and into the external fan/vent under the built in microwave. I've never used anything like Turbo Crazy or whatever. This Jenn Air Range is fantastic with excellent even circulation to the degree beans always end up very evenly roasted.

But I only roast to City/City Light or Full City in it. For French Roast or above, I use my barbecue drum on a spit out doors. This person/poster seemed to be concerned about money (or stove top) and my Jenn Air Range and stove top are what I started out with. I have never received a complaint from family ever and I usually plan on baking pizza after roasting a few batches of coffee indoors in our kitchen and everyone loves coffee hints/tastes. Although true I did smoke the house out trying to roast French Roast when I first started.

I also just wanted to say I try to write in a humorous way and not be looking down on people who've never home roasted coffee before. I also have a Bemor 1600 Roaster in my shop. Reality is that over the last 5 years my Jenn Air Range Convection Oven is my personal choice even over the Bemor. But my top choice is my barbecue drum roaster or an old 1920's roaster out in the shop. Anyway if I can help somebody learn a new way, when first getting into home roasting my posts will serve their purpose. You see... I was like this person with their questions on convection ovens 5 yrs ago. I couldn't get any answers in online forums, so I had to just experiment with using it and have had fabulous results. Got it down to a science now!

I've been using a convection oven for nearly a year. The coffee is great however the problem that i ran into that ultimately made me get a drum roaster was the chaff removal and the cooling. it took more time to dechaff and cool than it did to roast. It makes a terrible mess.

Quote Originally Posted by openroast79 View Post
    I've been using a convection oven for nearly a year. The coffee is great however the problem that i ran into that ultimately made me get a drum roaster was the chaff removal and the cooling. it took more time to dechaff and cool than it did to roast. It makes a terrible mess.
    Well I do have a electric rotory turned drum in a barbeque for large batches and it's my main coffee roaster. But I am only touting using a convection oven for use if you have nothing else, don't have the money, you're just beginning home roasting or you just roast this way periotically like I do. Although for me the only inconvenience is in winter I take my fine wire screen with beans after roasting outside in the cold. Other than that it doesn't make any more mess than my barbeque. My Bemor is still a little more of a pain located in my shop but again chaff is chaff and it's sort of a pain to deal with no mater where or how you clean it. It's just someting I deal with.

Also I forgot to add that I preheat the foil or screen I use for roasting and only load the beans into the oven when the temp buzzer goes off and set the timer for 10 minutes. I prefer fine wirre screen and window screen also works great. With temps down around 10*F right now, beans are cooled in seconds tossing them between two pans then laying them out on a pizza screen and just rolling them around to remove the chaff out side that's left. I use a high speed blower for the large drum in the barbeque on the spit held in a rig set to the side of the barbeque. It too cools fairly quickly, but you just can't beat winter outdoors for cooling beans ultra fast in temps around 20*F outside!

I should also emphacise that I use a custom program on my Jenn Air Range convection oven to change and control temps, so that I've found the ideal patern for different roasts that I can't do with any other roasting method I use. The reality is that in roasting coffee you basically have two methods of applying heat to the beans in a consistent way. Either move/stir the beans in the heated air or move the heated air around the beans like in a convection oven. Naturally the less conduction (which is still being applied in a drum to a degree) contact heat the better. That's why I use a fine wire screen where the beans contact very little metal surface area and my roast are very consistent. With custom formulas my coffee beans come out exactly the way I want now. I've got the formula down to 5 to 10 seconds either way before pulling the beans. Removal from the oven takes less than 10 seconds and they're cooled in less than 20 seconds outside to stop the roast! ....it's a science for me now w/ just 3 ft to the outside from the oven! .....it may not be a professional level roaster, but the results definitely are great!
    Last edited by JavaJock; 01-22-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads