Super Moderator

one of those days...

I have been picking green coffee out of roasted coffee for 6 hours today. My apprentice had a problem with the door to the hopper on our 120 kilo roaster. It was open when he was loaded a batch...not just once but twice. So he and I have been picking out about 20 lbs of green coffee out of 400+ lbs of roasted..yeah fun
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Once again Under Pug to the (next time) rescue.

http://www.buhlergroup.com/19690EN.htm?grp=60
    You want cream and sugar?
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

Don't you have a screen for sorting? Should be easy unless the roasted is not the same as the green like a peaberry or something. Still sucks though.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPugDiablo

Just a single head weighs around 1400 pounds. That can't be a cheap solution. I guess if you wanted to be completely anal and make sure nothing got through this would be the machine to solve all of your problems.
    Have you ever walked through the aisle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

Quote Originally Posted by CCafe
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPugDiablo

Just a single head weighs around 1400 pounds. That can't be a cheap solution. I guess if you wanted to be completely anal and make sure nothing got through this would be the machine to solve all of your problems.
    Not a cheap solution at all. But if you want defect free green and quaker free roasted coffee, and can't do hand sorting (certainly not at his volume). It's the only solution I know of. It's on my radar screen, not that I can afford it nor do I have the volume to justify it. But yeah, I am anal.
    You want cream and sugar?
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

Re: one of those days...

Quote Originally Posted by topher
    I have been picking green coffee out of roasted coffee for 6 hours today. My apprentice had a problem with the door to the hopper on our 120 kilo roaster. It was open when he was loaded a batch...not just once but twice. So he and I have been picking out about 20 lbs of green coffee out of 400+ lbs of roasted..yeah fun
    I was roasting on a 25kg probat, when someone decided to dump a load of green coffee into the roasted, got excited after dropping the batch in the roaster, opened the door and dropped it straight out again into the cooling tray!

I set the destoner up to separate the beans, it needed quite a delicate adjustment of the airflow, but worked fine to seperate the roasted from the green. Just needed the catch tray emptying a LOT

Might be worth trying in the unlikely event it ever happens again!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links