one of those days...

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have been picking green coffee out of roasted coffee for 6 hours today. My apprentice had a problem with the door to the hopper on our 120 kilo roaster. It was open when he was loaded a batch...not just once but twice. So he and I have been picking out about 20 lbs of green coffee out of 400+ lbs of roasted..yeah fun :evil:

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
Don't you have a screen for sorting? Should be easy unless the roasted is not the same as the green like a peaberry or something. Still sucks though.

ElPugDiablo

CCafe said:
ElPugDiablo said:
Once again Under Pug to the (next time) rescue.

http://www.buhlergroup.com/19690EN.htm?grp=60

Just a single head weighs around 1400 pounds. That can't be a cheap solution. I guess if you wanted to be completely anal and make sure nothing got through this would be the machine to solve all of your problems.
Not a cheap solution at all. But if you want defect free green and quaker free roasted coffee, and can't do hand sorting (certainly not at his volume). It's the only solution I know of. It's on my radar screen, not that I can afford it nor do I have the volume to justify it. But yeah, I am anal.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
topher said:
I have been picking green coffee out of roasted coffee for 6 hours today. My apprentice had a problem with the door to the hopper on our 120 kilo roaster. It was open when he was loaded a batch...not just once but twice. So he and I have been picking out about 20 lbs of green coffee out of 400+ lbs of roasted..yeah fun :evil:

I was roasting on a 25kg probat, when someone decided to dump a load of green coffee into the roasted, got excited after dropping the batch in the roaster, opened the door and dropped it straight out again into the cooling tray! :(

I set the destoner up to separate the beans, it needed quite a delicate adjustment of the airflow, but worked fine to seperate the roasted from the green. Just needed the catch tray emptying a LOT :lol:

Might be worth trying in the unlikely event it ever happens again!