Some roasting questions

belisar

May 11, 2008
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I have a couple of questions regarding coffee roasting and the destoners used to clean roasted coffee. I have tried to search around the net and even did a patent search but nothing beats asking directly someone who actually knows something about it, so I am hoping you can help.

I have a pretty old commercial roaster which has two temperature probes. One is apparently not working at all, and the other which goes into the rotating beans, reads around 180C (355F) when coffee is apparently in the verge of the second crack. I am using the roaster at the full capacity. I am not familiar with the way the load affects temperature readings, but I was guessing that having it loaded fully, it would read an accurate temperature. I also have problems with hearing cracks, but I don''t know if that is because the machine is noisy or because I am doing something wrong along the way.

I am reading a lot about coffee roasting profiles, but trying to imitate them without a reliable temp. reading seems difficult. There are so many places that cold air can enter into the machines, all of which can actually be regulated, that I have lost track of my first thoughts on it.

On the other hand, I have no idea how to regulate my destoner, which is of the same age as my machine, because it is not lifting coffee at all (if don''t count the fact that it makes it dance :) on the ground).

So I don''t know if someone can actually help me in all this, but it will be greatly appreciated,

thnx