Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home Roasting via Internet

Just curious how many home roasters or even retailers for that matter, would be interested in roasting over the internet on a fully professional style drum roaster? You select the coffees, create the blend, create a profile, control air flow, drum speed, pressure, etc., and designate a finishing color or value (e.g., Full City, "72", or some consistent color scale number or Agtron value... something like that). In other words, you operate it from your home computer like you were sitting in front of the roaster and the roast gets sent to you FEDEX. While you're waiting for it to finish maybe you create a custom label.

Anyway, we've been toying with this but we're not sure how much interest there would be. Sort of like a coffee roasting service for small quantities... or even medium and large I guess. But the point being that each roast is absolutely customized. Just interested in any thoughts.

Wow, how terrible.....unless I could see and hear the roast for myself, I wouldn't be happy to use such a system. I would be suprised if anyone would actually want to use it!

People buy roasted coffee online and pay a premium, because of the roast masters "skills".

Quote Originally Posted by Davec
    Wow, how terrible.....unless I could see and hear the roast for myself, I wouldn't be happy to use such a system. I would be suprised if anyone would actually want to use it!

People buy roasted coffee online and pay a premium, because of the roast masters "skills".
    True, point taken, but not everyone can have a professional drum roaster in their home and as most people here usually say... it's what's in the cup that counts. Right? Now, does seeing and hearing a roast make bad coffee good? And what if you COULD see and hear the cracks? Can't do much about smell but the multimedia tools are there...

I won't go into the comparison of a roast out of a popcorn popper as opposed to one out of a Probat or similar roaster. There's also the question of selection. If you had say, 160 varietals to chose from and any desired blend thereof?

It's really like going to a restaurant and being told to go in the Kitchen and cook your meal yourself....why would you want to, when your paying for a skilled chef to prepare your meal?

Sure you get access to all his "ingredients" and his cookware and cooker....but at the end of the day, it's how you put them together and cook them that counts.......experience is what your paying for.

P.S. The multimedia experience is no substitute for being at the tiller of the roaster, many factors can affect the roast and you need to be there to ensure everything goes as expected.....roasting is also a lot about "feel" and you don't get that from the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Davec
    It's really like going to a restaurant and being told to go in the Kitchen and cook your meal yourself....why would you want to, when your paying for a skilled chef to prepare your meal?

Sure you get access to all his "ingredients" and his cookware and cooker....but at the end of the day, it's how you put them together and cook them that counts.......experience is what your paying for.

P.S. The multimedia experience is no substitute for being at the tiller of the roaster, many factors can affect the roast and you need to be there to ensure everything goes as expected.....roasting is also a lot about "feel" and you don't get that from the Internet.
    Actually, it's more like having a Wolfgang Puck meal professionally prepared and delivered to your home. Regardless, there is still the issue that few people can afford to have a roaster in their home other than some cheap hand held air popper that stinks the place up and has absolutely none of the controls of a professional roasting device.

I find it interesting that you ask for people's opinions about your idea...then when someone gives their opinion you have a reason why they are wrong.....that is an interesting approach.

If you want opinions then accept them as what you asked for - other people's input - instead you argue and tell them they are wrong.

I won't share my opinion about your idea - I get enough grief in life the way it is. The fact that you have gotten such minimal feedback I think speaks louder than anything I could say.

Anyway, we've been toying with this but we're not sure how much interest there would be.
    Most of the people like me who post on Coffee Forums are roasters already and speaking for myself your idea is way off the beaten path and you will have a VERY hard time selling that idea to anyone who already roasts coffee for a living! It sounds more like an insult of our passion for roasting coffee.

Just curious how many home roasters or even retailers
    I can't speak for the future home roasters but I would bet that the ones already roasting at home would not like it either. Wake up Fresh Roaster and let them get the entire experience of the sounds sights and smells.
    Enjoy Your Coffee!
    Pete

Sounded like you are trying to do toll roasting for people. You would have to stock inventory for a lot of people. For example, I use Blue Batak Sumatra, but someone else use Golden Sumatra, the two are similar but not the same. Substitute one with the other you will be altering flavor profile and peoples expectation.
    You want cream and sugar?
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

Quote Originally Posted by ElPugDiablo
    Sounded like you are trying to do toll roasting for people. You would have to stock inventory for a lot of people. For example, I use Blue Batak Sumatra, but someone else use Golden Sumatra, the two are similar but not the same. Substitute one with the other you will be altering flavor profile and peoples expectation.
    Actually, think of it as toll roasting for the little guys and home roasters. As far as the selection, that would be another big advantage as there would be a very large selection... say 160-300 different coffees. Our thought is to work in conjunction with a large broker and pass the savings on to the end user who usually buys very high priced low quantities out of already premium priced small lots. So as a "partial" or co-op buyer of a container of Blue Batak, the end green price could be significantly lower.

What really struck me in considering the commercial possibility was seeing some of the wholesale prices lately. Five pound generic (non-private label) pillow sacks (non-valved) house blend medium roast at $12 per pound... BEFORE freight. WOW!

Re: Home Roasting via Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Roaster
    Just curious how many home roasters or even retailers for that matter, would be interested in roasting over the internet on a fully professional style drum roaster? You select the coffees, create the blend, create a profile, control air flow, drum speed, pressure, etc., and designate a finishing color or value (e.g., Full City, "72", or some consistent color scale number or Agtron value... something like that). In other words, you operate it from your home computer like you were sitting in front of the roaster and the roast gets sent to you FEDEX. While you're waiting for it to finish maybe you create a custom label.

Anyway, we've been toying with this but we're not sure how much interest there would be. Sort of like a coffee roasting service for small quantities... or even medium and large I guess. But the point being that each roast is absolutely customized. Just interested in any thoughts.
    Hey Fresh Roaster, I don't understand the concept of selling roasted coffee to someone who is already set up to do their own roasting at home.

Are "home roasters" really a part of your targeted market?

That aside...

What would be the minimum order?

Could you compete with high volume roaster pricing?

Offer private labeling and dropshipping?

Thanks,
    Ed
    Advertising URL in your signature line was removed by your favorite Moderator.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links